Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First post op appt.

Hi all I had my follow up today and can now take off the hard collar, my surgeon wants me to get an X-ray and see him in a month and if all looks good I can start pt. He told me it will take a while for everything to settle down and gave me script for pain and I am going to try to make it last a month, if taken as prescribed it will last 12 days. My goal is to start working out on my bowflex again as it has been over two years and also get off of Vicodin, I've been on it for awhile and want to start weeding myself off. Thank you everyone for your support and I hope we all have good recoveries and I do feel a little better already with collar off. Time to slowly start loosening those pissed off muscles, I still have some nerve pain but it is much better then before surgery. God Bless, Joe
ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.

• Congratulations on the progress so soon! Remember to take it easy in the initial period of recovery and not to overdo it. The pissed off muscles may actually take longer to recover than the pissed off nerves. Just wanted to say "hi" to my fellow NJ friend! :-)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
    edited 07/24/2012 - 7:26 AM
    Now be a good boy and follow all dr's orders....Lol! please don't overdo things. Happy you are over the surgery part of it now. Let me know how the next appt goes. And hi to you Lili!

Big hugs guys.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• Joe I am so Happy for You!!! I bet you are to, I never had to wear the hard collar.
    Keep us Posted on your progress.

Have a Great Day!

Tall Hugs.....
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Joe241JJoe241 Posts: 185
    edited 07/25/2012 - 5:00 PM
    Thanks Lili, Missy and Susie for taking time to reply, my only friends are people I never met but we all share fd up spines and pain so we appreciate what we are going through together. I hope you all have a few pain free moments a day, being in constant pain takes a toll on your body and mind.My blood pressure has been higher since my surgery, probably from the pain, when the nurse took it Monday that was first thing she asked. After being sent home with inadequate pain meds I had to call and practically beg for enough to get me to my first appt. Everywhere I read people are given diluadid or something like it, I received some after surgery and it took the pain away and I felt no pain or the first time in four years, I'm afraid to ask for it for fear of being thought of as a drug seeker. I still have not had a quality nights sleep since the surgery I am constantly waking up at least every hour, I look at my alarm clock. Thanks again and God Bless, Joe
  • Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
    edited 07/26/2012 - 2:22 AM
    Sorry you are not getting a good nights sleep. The only thing that knocks me out is valium or flexeril. I take it every evening so I can sleep. Without them, I would be up throughout the night. I don't have severe pain anymore. Sometimes the pain can go up to a 8, but mostly it's at 4 or 5. Eventhough I can live with this pain, I also realized that my blood pressure has gone up too. Just another one of the issues of being in chronic pain. Wishing you a much needed nigh of sleep!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 66
    Your first post-op appointment went so well. No more hard collar, PT in your near future. I'm inspired to think more clearly about post-op for myself. I have a 2-level ACDF on 8/6. Thank you for keeping those of us who are following in your footsteps informed and educated.

I agree with those who argued for being very careful and not pushing it. This period of recovery is so precious and you can't redo it.

Talk to your doc about adequate pain relief. It may help in your recovery, improving both sleep and high blood pressure. It would certainly help your quality of life.

Best wishes and keep on posting,
    2-level ACDF scheduled for 8/6/12
    3 lumbar fusions: 2003, 2005, 2008
    PLIF L1-3 6/13
    ACDF (C5-7) 8/12
    PLIF (L2-5) 2003/05/08
  • islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
    edited 07/27/2012 - 1:22 PM
    I am sad that you haven't had a good nights sleep. I myself take dilaudid and it does help the post surgery pain. DONT be afraid to ask for it if its something that would help you. You need to heal and a good nights sleep is a big part of it.

I meant to ask if you had a cage and hardware? And have you asked how long post surgery pain will be? My neuro thought at least a month for the neck pain to subside. Also what has your neuro said about side sleeping? I have started doing that and wonder if its a big NONO lol!

Thinking of you and hope you are having a good day.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• Hey Missy I too am a side sleeper and don't know if it affects anything and I do have a plate with screws am going for X-ray in a few weeks and am looking forward to see how my new neck looks. I will try to keep you updated as it is nice to kind of know what to expect or someone else is feeling same way as you, you are only a week behind me surgery wise. Thanks Lili and Bookcat for taking time to reply it really helps knowing people who have been through similar experiences to cheer us on. God Bless, Joe