Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

islandstylist 1 week post op

islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
edited 07/24/2012 - 7:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone,

I was 1 week post op yesterday. I went to have my staples/stitches removed yeserday but when I got to the drs they told me they were dissolvable. Weird no one told me that. LOL! I am feeling ok. Not 100 percent. My neck is very stiff
especially when I wake up. Not eating a lot, my stomach feels queasy. I will try to eat more today. I am sleeping in my own bed without my soft collar. Today I will shower for the first time without bandages on my neck. I look forward to it.

I am not wearing my bandage anymore and have to say my scar looks pretty cool. Not really a totally straight line but thats ok. I was sick last night, not sure if its because I am trying to wean off my dilaudid or because of my my vitamin pills causing stomach upset. I was really scared to f up my neck by getting sick but I seem ok today. I go for a checkup with the neuro on August 16th. Cant wait to get the go ahead to care for my baby without help. He is at future mils for the week. Thats the hardest for me. I am by myself this week.

I wanted to let everyone know that I am doing fine. I hope everyone is having a good day.

Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• Congratulations to you, too! I will give you the same advice I gave Joe. Don't overdo it and just let everything heal. My stitches were dissolvable as well. Be realistic about the recovery and don't place any expectations on how long healing will take. My surgeon said that 9 months was how long it would take. Well, he was wrong! I would be in utter shock if you were 100 percent 1 week post-op! ;-)

The scar will slowly fade over time. You can barely see mine anymore. The vitamins, medication can all cause an upset stomach. Are you taking something like Nexium for the stomach issues? I know it's hard to be away from your baby, but you need to rest and recover so you will be 100 percent sooner for your kids.

Hang in there, girl! I hope your recovery will be short and smooth! :-)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Great to hear from you.

I'm sure that it is very normal to have a stiff neck after only 1 week post op. Just think what they have done to it.
    Well done for being able to sleep in your own bed. That must be great.

I hope that the sickness goes soon and that your stomach will settle down.

Take things very slowly. Before long you will be able to look after your little boy again.
    Take care
    Big hugs xx
  • I'm glad you're doing so well in such a short time. Your stomach could be from the meds. or what your body has been through. Try to make sure you have enough fluid and eat whatever your stomach and your throat think is ok. Your stiff neck is totally understandable. You've probably been concentrating on keeping your neck still and so it's stiff.

Glad to hear from you.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • It's great to hear from you! I am so happy that things are going well for you, sure there will be some things that come up, but with time you will be seeing Improvement. Just wanted to let you know I have beem thinking of you.

Rest easy....Missy!!!
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 66
    I'm so glad you posted another thread. Once I thought to check the Neck Pain Forum, I found your just-out-of-hospital thread but for some reason my post never showed up. Congratulations on getting through the surgery and starting such a strong recovery. Your one-week thread sounds as though you are less euphoric about having made it through and in a period during which you are coming to terms w/what it's taking to recover. Hard work.

We are cheering you on. This early stage of your recovery seems like golden time. The stronger a foundation you can build now, the stronger your recovery later. This is temporary, as difficult as it is to be missing your baby. I hope things ease up a bit for you. Did you drive yourself to your doctor's?

My surgery is scheduled for 8/6/12, a little less than 2 weeks away. As usual, it seemed a long way off earlier in the month but now there's not enough time to get everything I want done. I'm planning an overnight get-away to a cabin in the woods but haven't found the cabin yet. The pain associated with traveling worries me a little. If I can find a place to stay, I imagine a lot of this will seem more manageable.

Saw my pain management doc yesterday for help with current pain and the plan for post-op pain management. The reality is it will depend on what the nursing staff is willing to do. Being understaffed with many patients whose pain needs to be managed, and having a protocol about how to deal with pain can limit my options. The hospital doesn't even carry the meds my doc would prefer to use. He's going to recommend a pain pump but my surgeon doesn't like to use them. I can only hope that whoever sees me in the hospital will agree.

Missy, I wish you the best in your recovery. You're doing so well; remember to measure your progress in weeks, not days.

Hip hip hurray to you!
    2-level fusion (C5-7) scheduled for 8/6/12.
    3 PLIFs: 2003, 2005, 2008
    PLIF L1-3 6/13
    ACDF (C5-7) 8/12
    PLIF (L2-5) 2003/05/08
  • islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
    edited 07/25/2012 - 6:40 AM
    Hi Love! ( waving ) I really appreciate your advice about me not overdoing it. Fortunately when I wake up every day I can FEEL how fragile and unstable my neck feels and it scares me. I am being really cautious though. I have to ask you how important certain foods or vitamins are to me fusing? Right now I weigh about 105lbs and am 5'3. I find I am not able to eat a lot because I feel sick a lot since surgery. Any tips from you would be oh so awesome. Lol! How is your day going?

• Hello darling! The nausea has settled down somewhat but I find if I am to eat a "normal" amount I feel sick. Not sure if I should try switching to protein shakes or what to get some nutrients in? I worry that if I dont get enough nutrients it will hamper fusion. I am well otherwise. Slow to start but thats normal. How are you today hon?

• Hi hon! Yes, I will make an effort today to drink more. The eating is another issue. I think I may have to start drinking protein shakes. I am by myself this week and not really up to making myself meals. How is your day going?

• Hello darlin! Thanks for your well wishes, other than the eating issues I am fine. My mother comes back to help Monday so I am sure she will force me to eat then. Lol! I hope you are having a great day!

edited 07/25/2012 - 7:02 AM
    Hi Catherine!

Yes I can see that recovery is definitely some work. I am reminded everytime I wake up. My neck feels unstable and weak. I am trying not to overdo things and pretty much spend most of my time on the couch. I am by myself this week and when my mom comes back Monday I'm sure she will force me to eat and take better care of myself. Lol!

I did go to the dr's but my dad came and drove me. He is awesome because he had to travel for hours just to drive me there. Nice to have such a great family, Too bad they live far away.

I hope your pain is under control as soon as possible, crappy about the hospital being understaffed though, that does make things more challenging doesn't it? How is your day going?

Big hugs..

• Missy - I'm glad you're taking it easy. Even if you don't eat much, you should try to drink a lot. Family is so important when going through all this - and it's great if you have supportive friends as well. My mom traveled a long way too to help me after my operations.

To those of you to go through surgeries in the near future, best of luck. In addition to getting prepared for the surgery and after, take some time to enjoy yourself. Some time in a cabin sounds great.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hey you! I'm also petite - 5'0" and weigh 107! I lost a lot of weight after the surgery and I literally forced myself to eat. Now I wish I don't eat that much because my gut is coming back! ;-) I was taking a multi-vitamin, calcium, magnesium, homeopathic remedies and lots of protein shakes. PM me if you want to know what I supplemented with post-op. I really think the medication is making you sick. Are you really in so much pain that you need to take them all? I find that the mind is a very powerful pain reliever. What kind of pain are you experiencing? Nerve, muscular, surgical site? Recovery can be really rough. I'm dealing with much less pain, but nevertheless it's still there. Going through my 4th round of PT right now and the physical therapist believes the remaining pain is muscular. I've been making progress with the short right leg. I am starting to feel like I'm not leaning to the side. Shocking! Hang in there and ALWAYS feel free to PM me anytime you want!
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Hi Missy, I'm glad you are doing well, I've heard that some people have trouble eating after surgery from the anesthesia, my surgeon asked if I was eating okay so it must happen more than we think. Don't be afraid to call your surgeon if your stomach doesn't settle, remember we pay the doctors so we are kind of their bosses, yeah good luck with that. My surgeon told me its going to take awhile for everything to settle down. Enjoy your quiet time and I could send you some food but by the time you get it it might be stale. God Bless, Joe
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 07/25/2012 - 9:07 PM
    I love the sound of relaxing in a cabin in the woods!

Missy, taking some protein drinks can't do any harm, and it will make you feel more relaxed about your ability to heal. Hopefully very soon your stomach will settle and you will get your appetite back. How is your throat?

My hubby had surgery yesterday and I was at the hospital from 7.00am until 10.00pm. 15 hours of sitting about hasn't done me any good. When I left to come home, I had a lot of pain, particularly in one leg strangely. When I got home, I opened the upstairs windows because it had been a very hot day and the upstairs of the house was going to be too hot to sleep in. I then went for a walk to try to help my leg pain. I do find that walking very often does make me feel better, even when I start out in pain. The walking did help, although I felt rather unstable walking in the dark. I was glad to get home again.
    When I went to bed, I had a tremendous amout of twitching in my leg and feet muscles. I got cramp in my toes and was getting the stiffening spasming that I usually get as I wake in the morning and start to move. My legs felt very restless and I just couldn't get comfortable. I didn't manage to get to sleep until 4.30, having got up a couple of times to walk around the house to try to lose the pain in my legs and aching in my arms.
    This morning, the pain has improved a lot, so I hope that whatever was causing it, has returned to a more normal state.

Thinking of you Missy and wishing you a good and comfortable day today.
    The advice to measure your recovery in weeks rather than in days is a good idea.
    Look after yourself and spoil yourself. Remember how you were longing to be on this side of surgery? Well now you are, and your recovery is underway. It is now over to you to do everything you can to help your body to recover and heal.
    Gentle hugs and cheering you on from far away.
  • welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
    edited 07/25/2012 - 10:55 PM
    just want to post to let you know i am thinking of you, not only having to deal with your own health problems but also have the worry of your husbands surgery... wishing you both all the very best... TinaAnn
  • for the support TinaAnn.

Just got back from visiting hubby. He is doing quite well and should come home either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday.
    Then it will be over to me to look after him. Pay back time for the excellent care that he gave me after my lumbar fusion.
    edited 07/27/2012 - 5:11 AM
    Hi Karen.

I am making more of an effort to get the fluids in, thanks for the reminder. And yes its great to have supportive family, I just cant wait until I dont need them anymore though. Lol! Have a great day Karen!

edited 07/27/2012 - 5:20 AM
    Thanks for the well wishes. But I have have to be honest I wake everyday and am still in awful neck pain. I wonder when this subsides? Will I always have to take narcos? I thought I could get off them soon bit that doesn't seem to be happening.

My incision was getting red too so a clinic dr put me on topical antibiotic. Hope it clears up soon otherwise I have to go on oral antibiotics. Sorry for the play by play. Tell me how you're doing today Joe.

• I think I will take your always great advice and start protein shakes. I am just not eating enough.

And I hope those damn muscle spasms stay away, thats sounds like a real pain! Are you feeling better today? And I want you to know that I keep you and your husband in my prayers. How is he feeling after his surgery?

Bigs hugs to you jelly and I hope your husband is on the mend.

• How rude that I missed your post before! Lol! Dont know how I missed it!? Wow you're so tiny too Lili, I am in the same boat as you. I am allready at my ideal weight and allthough I know I have to eat healthily I dont want to gain weight. Thanks so much for your post op nutrition help I really appreciate it!

I'm sure the meds do make me sick. I still take dilaudid but have cut my dose in half. Hopefully by 1 month post op if all goes well I would like to stop it because it does make me sick. My pain is still in my neck and I really notice it if I sleep too long and dont take my pills on time. I think its muscular? My neck feels really tight like I have to crack it. Which I won't Lol!

Love that you are making progress with your pt and I hope it keeps getting better for you sweetie!

Big hugs!

• Hi Missy, my neck is still really sore and like you I am trying to cut down on the narcos, I find if I feel okay and take half the recommend dose I feel it more the next day. My neck is still sore all the time, mostly the back and sides and I hope it's just muscular but won't know for awhile. When the pain starts getting real bad I wear a soft collar which I had from ortho in 2009 and it helps some, my surgeon told me if my head feels heavy use the collar. Hope this helps you and I too was alone right after surgery I have had only one cup of ice coffee from DD since surgery neck is still to sore to drive. Take care and God Bless, Joe
  • Sorry your neck is still so sore Joe. Do you wear your soft collar to bed? I told my surgeon I couldnt sleep with it so he told me not to wear it. Saw your crack and pop post. Hope you are ok?

• Sometimes keeping up with replying to all the post can be a lot of work! Sitting in front of a computer is also not a great idea for you, too. My residual pain is muscular, but is a tough one to get rid of. I'm not giving up though! I am making progress with PT and glad that I am.

I am by nature very "high strung", so that in itself doesn't help with pain. Meditation was very helpful, but it is a huge commitment to stick with it when you have a busy schedule like I do. Hope you sleep well tonight with no neck pain. Hugs!!!!
  • ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
    edited 07/28/2012 - 2:26 AM
    Wanted to send you well wishes for a smooth speedy recovery. Sorry to hear that you are still having pain, hope that it begins to ease.
    Have you tried having smoothies/protein shakes, as you mentioned, when you don't feel up to making/eating a meal? I love protein shakes, they are easy to make, and will probably be good for the throat, stomache. Maybe pop some fruit and ice in to the blender with it, I find it tastes alot better with fruit.
    I am sure that you are missing your baby boy, it won't be long until he is back with you. Take this time to focus on "you"...it will be beneficial in the long run.
    Sending positive thoughts and hugs your way.
    Jelly, wishing your husband a great recovery. Hope that your leg pain has settled down for you.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I've been following your journey...

It does take quite awhile to recover from this type of surgery...so just take it one day at a time. Especially after getting out of the collar, your neck muscles are going to start working again and this will cause a rise in pain.

And yes, you absolutely need to be keeping up your strength with protein shakes and things that provide the needed nutrients. Your body needs this to do the appropriate healing.

Do you have a prescription for an actual muscle relaxer? Opiates work a bit to dull pain but more specific meds, like a muscle relaxer, does a much better job at helping those spasms.

There is Flexeril, Robaxin, or Skelaxin to name a few.

Hope you are having a good weekend:)
  • Missy I have worn the soft collar to bed but end up taking it off during the night. Didn't sleep great last night as neck hurts, I also take Robaxin which doesn't seem to work as well. I took Robaxin about twenty years ago for my back and it worked good, it's going to take a long time to heal there we be plenty of setbacks. Keep fighting and God Bless, Joe
  • I too tried to wear the collar at night, but sleeping wasn't happening so off it came. I tried Robaxin before surgery but maybe I should try it now. I think if you know dilaudid works for your pain you could at least mention it? When do you talk to your neuro again? It is the only med that has helped my pain too. Hope you have a tolerable/managable day Joe.

• Thanks for the advice, I will have to start taking protein shakes to keep my nutrients up. And you are right, at least I am on this side of recovery now and as long as I don't do anything dumb I will be able to care for my baby sooner than later. Patience is NOT my virtue however. Lol! I hope you have a good day hon!

• Thanks for your advice, yes I have tried Robaxin before surgery but I will try it again now. I do have some. Thanks for reminding me.

Big hugs, hope your day is a good one hon!

• He was kept in an extra day so we came home on Saturday afternoon.
    This morning we had to go back and he was admitted again.
    Hopefully he will be able to come home tomorrow. I had another day hanging around the hospital from 10.30 am until 9.30 pm. I have been for a walk and I am hoping that I will be able to sleep well tonight. I am certainly very tired.

Keep healing Missy. Big but gentle hugs. xx