Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SEVERE PAIN I have NO LIFE outside my house

Well I'm 23 years old and let me start by saying how wonderful it is that I found this site it just give me hope knowing there are people like me out there who are experiencing what I've been experiencing. Well I'm had back pain for 5 years now and 6 months ago it has gotten so bad that I actually had to quit my job. I have low back pack, sciatica, 3 disk herniation along with other stuff, and flat back (no curve in lumbar), I can't sit for a long period of time, I can't walk for longer than 5 mins, I can't bend, and the pain is undescriable..I feel like I am going through hell! I just currently applied for pre-existing insurance and was accepted, but there's still a lot of money that I will have to pay out of pocket to get surgery, which without a job it's hard to find the money. At this point in my life I just feel so hopeless, I've applied for SSD and medicaid and was denied. This is a nightmare and I would do anything to wake up and be able to get back to my normal 23 year old life. I'm so exhausted because I feel like ANYTHING I try, its a deadend. I guess it just touches my heart knowing I'm not completely alone. I know one thing is I am very scared and I hope God points me in the right direction. =(

• What treatments have you had in the last 5 years for the condition? And what surgery was recomended if any to get releif? Being that young some treatment could posibly get you back on your feet and resolve the pain issue so it might be premature to file for ssdi , Some disc issues can get beter with pt and without surgery, Many can have multiple bulging disc and posibly only 1 causing pain issues, Often can take long time to get beter with the right treatment and often surgery can be avoided,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • lalaland10356llalaland10356 Posts: 2
    edited 07/26/2012 - 5:43 AM
    I've done PT, been to a chiro, had 3 epidural injections and it helped for a little but it's back and worst than ever. I was recommended to have discectomy but I'll be going to see another doctor soon to see what else can be done. The doctor said that the surgery may help me a little but will not help everything. I'm guessing I'll be doing PT after the surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    is for you to provide us with more details regarding your condition. It is easier for other members to respond to your post when they know more about you. In our guidelines, we ask members to provide:

- Current Medical Conditions (detailed)
    - Diagnostic tests performed and their results
    - Doctor's recommendations and action plans
    - Treatments that you have had so far
    - Any injections
    - List of all medications that you are taking

All this helps us trying to put a 'face' behind a online member
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • If injections helped might be a good sighn that they at least know what level is the main cause of the pain, If they recomended microdiscetomy not a full disc removal then you are not at a dead end just yet, Many do very well when the part of the disc thats touching the nerve is removed if needed and heal prety fast usualy and are able to teturn to normal function and go back to work in a short time, Worse case is having to remove the total disc and having a fusion,
    Hopefully they can resolve your issue with the least invasive micro D surgery if surgery is a must and your life can posibly return to normal, If all alternative treatments have been used up and surgery is the only answer then it leaves no other options, The only people that run in to a dead end road are who did what surgery was intended to resolve there problem but there surgery has failed to resolve it, The sooner the problem is fixed the sooner a person can recover and bounce back, If nothing is done thats recomended then a person will never know if there issue could have been resolved or not before going on ssd of any sort, Good luck and let us know what action your dr decides to take in more detail,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • So sorry about your pain, esp so young. I know how hard it is but I was 34 when this started for me- I herniated L4-S1. I am fortunate to be on SSI,SSDI, Medicaid. When 1st applying you will be denied the first time so you take the denial letter to a good SS lawyer. They usually dont charge til after you win and its capped at 25% of your lump sum pmt. It took 2.5 yrs to win my case so I was backpaid from the determined date of disability. Of course you get more a month depending on how long you worked. You may also get SSI which depends on income & that will get you on medicaid which pays whats leftover after medicare pays. At first i was on SSDI/medicare bc of my husbands income but after he dunped me I was able to get SSI which gives me extra money a month and I qualified for medicaid too. Its complicated but worth it if you cant work.
    well I hope that helps. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about how much your pain is bothering you so he could adjust/change your meds or try steroid shots & other things
This discussion has been closed.