Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Under 25 with ss?

Is there anyone else here that is under 25 with ss? Have you found symptoms get worse over time?

• There are a few members floating around that are under 25, however it is summer and the forums tend to be slower in the summer. Many people walk around with it all the time and never even know it, it is a matter of does it cause pain or not. Even from the stand point of someone older there is no guarantee it will get worse, what is important is you need to learn proper body mechanics and posture to help out. In addition starta exercise program that will help strengthen your core body muscles along with eating a healthy diet, also don't smoke and drink plenty of water.
  • Hey Stealthtastic,

I am not under 25 but last year I did end up having an laminectomy decompression surgery on the cervical (neck) area of my spine. I was 30 years old at that time. The reason because of this is that I started having serious neurological problems (limping right leg, numb fingertips) all of a sudden. After an MRI I was told I had congenital spinal stenonis. Which basically means that I was born with a more narrow spinal canal. My spinal cord was being severely compressed on C5,C6 partial C7 and showed signs of myelopathy. So this can happen at a younger age.

Tamtam already gave some solid advice. Keep a good posture, healthy diet, no smoking, strengthen your core muscles. If you experience sensory loss, weakness or other severe neurological problems I wouldn't hesitate to get it checked out.
  • I've been treating it from the age of twelve and am currently nineteen. It's only gotten worse for me, but two of my discs herniated two years ago aswell. Because of my young age doctors tend to flat out refuse to treat me, and tell me I can't possibly have this problem. Insurace has the same view point. Over time my legs have gotten pretty weak. I spent about two months with crutches to help me walk, because my left leg tends to go out, and have sence adopted a wheel chair. I've had steroid injections twice, and they made me feel good as new, however they didn't help with the increased pain level durring menstration, and wore off compleatly after about three months both times. We're looking for a doctor that will operate on me, but most turn me away, because the operation is elective and I only turned 19 last month.

I sugest you try everything you can before you start to feel too bad. It gets to where the pain makes the lengthy process of treatment seem to take decades and all the while you sit and watch the able bodied world stroll right past. Almost as if you were in some horribly depressing LMN movie.
  • ben_indianabben_indiana Posts: 288
    edited 08/17/2012 - 6:41 AM
    I thought I was in the minority. I always felt a little foolish at appts when I was easily the youngest in the room by 20, 30, 40 years! Im 32 & thought my back shouldnt be so bad at my age. I learned after spending time in these forums that age dosent mean much when it comes to the back.

I too felt discriminated because of my age, you gotta find doctors who are willing to understand your pain & your lifestyle and go from there.

Good luck!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • I'm 31 and have moderate SS in my lumbar spine along with some other issues that I have going on in the same area (Spondy, Pars Defect). Although nothing to do with my back I had the same issue when I was having severe stomach pain. I wasn't pregnant and didn't have an appy or gall bladder issue so there couldn't possibly be anything wrong. I saw a gastro guy and I was easily the youngest by 20 years. He treated me like S**T and would only talk directly to my mom. Turns out I essentially had an ulcer, at least in most people's mind, something that didn't happen until you were much older. My advise to you is to be persistent. Keep looking for someone who will treat you (maybe an adolescent neuro/ortho surgeon)? I'm not sure where you live but if it is a smaller town maybe look into seeking treatment in a nearby large city.

Good luck.

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • I am 25 and have not only spinal stenosis in the lumbar spine but spondylosis, herniated L5, nerve compression at both L5 and S1, and degenerative disc disease. The pain is unbearable at points and shoots down my left leg with accompanying numbness. I am currently on Meloxicam which seems to relieve some of the pain (but not the numbness), attending physical therapy 2x a week, and seeing a pain management doctor next week!! :(
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • Thats too bad, i have ddd as well, but its getting much better, i no longer need heroin-level opiates
  • It does get worse but everybody has a different time line. The best advice I can give is to not over do yourself, even on days that you feel good. That was always my problem when I was your age and I might not be as bad off now if I had taken it easier when I was younger. I'm not saying to stay at home and do nothing, just listen to your body if you are starting to feel the pain rest for a few minutes. Also find a job that isn't to hard on your back. I was a bartender and spent 10 hours or more on my feet without a break with heavy lifting. I would have quit had I knew what was wrong but because of my age no doctor took my pain too serious so I wasn't diagnosed until I was 30 and could no longer work. Being young with chronic pain is a tough and sometimes lonely road. Doctors often treat as an addict friends, family and co-works don't understand because you look normal and you can walk. Plus sometimes you can do more than other days so it is hard for the to get it.
    The Samuel
This discussion has been closed.