Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After injury/surgery 17 years ago workers comp has

re-opened my claim completely. It took a bit for them to decide this but the one thing that helped was almost yearly check up's with MRI imaging basically tracking the changes to my spine as time went on. Now it appears i am getting better treatment from workers comp then my own medical proffessionals.....that's not right I think lol.
I was almost forced back to work and had work to go to until workers comp called me this past Monday and told me the news. I would of went back to work as I will not allow my family to starve and I am not willing to lose our house...I especially do not want to lose my fiance, she is one in a million and to lose an awesome woman like my baby would be even more devestating. She was afraid i would sever my nerves if I went back to work and is more relieved then I am that i no longer have to go to work in this condition.
At any rate mine was pretty straight forward and even Board doctors could not dispute the findings. I am pretty lucky in the scheme of things as I know some people have it way worse. I know what it feels like when no one is listening to you and it seems as though the hurdle before you is impossible to get over. What makes it worse is as time goes by a person will lose hope and the light at the end of the tunnel seems to fade. I was there and 9 years ago i finaly took control of my own physical condition and started my own rehab as workers comp had cut off medical entitlement many years ago. My job has consisted of many miles of walking every day with some intense physical labouring sometimes. Between that and my everyday regime of stretching and specific exercises everyday i was able to work for the last 8 years and get in great shape until the L5-S1 disc space collapse resulting in bone on bone issues with nerve root irritaion/compression.I went from walking 5 to 15 miles a day at a fast pace to a maximum of 50 metres a day very slowly to now being pretty much bedridden.
What I have learned in all of this is to make sure i have done everything I can to make sure my T's are crossed and my I's are dotted, meaning get everything in writting and get as much medical imaging and proof of your condition as you can get. Documentation plays a very important role in these situations. And now it's time to focus on healing and getting back to a productive life.
I am hoping this post will encourage fellow spinney's not to give up ever!

• In some cases the worker's comp is a open and closed case as to how the injury occurred, I have been so lucky in the same measures, myself. But what I see all to often with the open and shut cases is they still refuse treatment. I am still in that position where they provided initial care, but now with the extended care, they would like to pursue a court battle. All of their doctors(my state they pick the doctors), agree I need on going medical care, but they refuse to pay any more till it settles in court, which also means I am cut off pay check wise and have been sense Jan of 09. But my modo is I can't change it, let the courts decide that is what they are there for,

I also encourage anyone, wether it is work comp, private insurance, or a third party involvement, to keep the faith. If your not doing nothing wrong, I think good always prevails in the long run, even if the long run is a long time away.

Good for you, for keep up your body strength and working so long. Hopefully you will get the appropriate treatment, and be back to your job and normal busy everyday life.
  • gabriel777gabriel777 Posts: 31
    edited 07/26/2012 - 5:19 AM
    That's an issue I have now. I started working as a meat cutter when I was 13, went full time when i was 16, and now one of the most difficult things for me is not being active when i have done it for so many years. Sitting and waiting is very hard for people who have worked their entire lives...I don't know what to do with myself sometimes,,,no wait more like all the time lol.
    Sorry to hear you are still having those issues, hopefully when it is settled in the courts things can get back to somewhat normal for you. I know how finacial issues can make an injury that much worse for a person. Hang in there!
  • While plans differ among jurisdictions, provision can be made for weekly payments in place of wages (functioning in this case as a form of disability insurance), compensation for economic loss (past and future), reimbursement or payment of medical and like expenses (functioning in this case as a form of health insurance), and benefits payable to the dependents of workers killed during employment (functioning in this case as a form of life insurance).

General damages for pain and suffering, and punitive damages for employer negligence, are generally not available in workers' compensation plans, and negligence is generally not an issue in the case. These laws were first enacted in Europe and Oceania, with the United States following shortly thereafter.