Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Pain and Smoking (Tobacco)

DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
edited 07/27/2012 - 2:20 PM in Chronic Pain
I read an interesting article about how 1/5 of the general population smokes tobacco yet 1/2 of all people treated for chronic pain smoke. The article talked about how it was a viscous cycle because smoking in the end makes the pain worse. Also, the article said chronic pain patients that smoke smoke a lot more when they are in a lot of pain. It can interfere with pain meds, and of course, harm your body. How many of you smoke? Do you want to quit? Did you used to smoke? Did you start smoking before/after you were diagnosed with chronic pain?
ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• I used tobacco in the womb, graduated to smoking at age 16, finally quitting in 1993. I haven't looked back since. My back pain didn't start until 2008. That's 15 years without pain and 15 years without tobacco.
    Disability retirement
  • LovetrotravelLLovetrotravel Posts: 296
    edited 07/27/2012 - 2:29 PM
    Here is a comment from my spine institute's information about smoking **. The 3 Neurosurgeons there will not even perform surgery if someone is still a smoker. They are happy to help people stop and offer assistance with this as well.

The main reason smoking effects the spine is it's so dehydrating which leads to bone density loss. I am very thankful that I have never smoked and never had any desire to. I certainly don't think it's the answer to all our spine problems as obviously I have degenerative disc disease since early 30's. My mom smoked for over 20 years and has been smoke free since 1993!

**Smoking has been linked to accelerating the degenerative process of disc degeneration. Smoking has also been linked to increased perception of pain amongst individuals who undergo treatment. It has also been associated with increased use of narcotics in trying to control pain and increased dissatisfaction with non operative and operative treatment of back problems and other orthopedic disorders. In patients who undergo surgery, the overall success rate is much lower in patients who smoke than in patients who do not smoke when all other factors are equal.
    The bottom line is that we know that smoking causes heart disease, lung disease, vascular disease, and cancer. In addition, smoking has now been linked to increased perception of pain and spinal problems.
  • I smoked off on and for quite a few years but usually very light. Sometimes just 5 or 6 a day, sometimes 1 cig a week! I think when you have chronic pain it makes it harder to quit because I always rationalized that compared to all my problems ...who cares!

But it is stupid and expensive and dirty and wasteful and smelly and dangerous.......

I quit about a year and a half ago when I had some teeth pulled. When I was leaving the dentist they gave me a handout that said no smoking for 3 days or could be serious, painful problems. Surprize!!! I decided If I could qit for three days I would quit for good. Used the patch, was not too bad.

Have not noticed that it helped lessen the pain though.
  • I was a slave to cigaretts for 35 + years. When I quit I was smoking 2 1/2 to 3 packs a day. I quit cold turkey. Every day I think to myself how happy I am to be rid of that bad habit.

This discussion has been closed.