Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about symptom that I have and I dont know what it means

Dycal83DDycal83 Posts: 3
edited 07/28/2012 - 11:16 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hey guys , am 28 years old dentist , and few weeks ago I woke up with terrible pain in my shoulder and arm.....etc

my MRI said I have herniated C5 C6 , with considerable flattening of the right nerve sleeve

however I started do PT and all the pain and the weakness gone, ( am not normal as I used to , but at lease the symptoms lil bit disappeared ) .

However , my question is , I have exactly two spots in my arm one very close to the shoulder joint and the other one is in my forearm , those points I cant touch them , if I do they hurt so so bad, they dont hurt unless I press on them with my fingers of my left arm,or with certain arm movement

anyone of you guys had these point ? what r they ? any info would help alot?

thank you

• Hi I cannot tell you what you have but I can share my experience with you. I had a hernaited disc at C5-C6 with impingment on my spinal cord, I had those same symptoms with pain at my shoulder and just below my elbow I was told that it was because of the compression on the spinal cord. Anyway my symptoms did not clear up they in fact got worse and I ended up having surgery 4/16/12 I had 3 level ACDF because in addition to C5-C6 I had bulging disc at C4-C5 and C6-C7. Now I can tell you that my arm pain was gone the minute I woke up from surgery and although I have had some issues since surgery my arm has never felt the pre-surgery pain again. I hope that you stay symptom free and I would advise you to try every other possible avenue before you have surgery, but please pay attention to your body and I also found that lidoderm patches helped with my arm pain if you can get them. I hope this helps. Blessings Kim
    Kimberly Martin
  • thank you alot for the reply , I wanted to ask you , how long did you have the symptoms before u had the surgery , ? I would say how long did you suffer before getting into the surgery .?
  • Hi Again, Well I have had neck issues for years with severe pain and about 4 yrs ago was the first diagnosis of bulging disc's C4-C7 but no herniation and no impingment. I went through decompression treatment at a chiropractor and my symptoms were better I mean i would have flare ups but for the most part I could cope. Then about late january 2012 started having arm pain, now I have bursitis in my left arm and it did not feel exactly the same but I diagnosed myself with bursitis in my right arm ( the problem arm) So I treated it with NSAIDS and pain patches. I only got worse that I finally ended up in ER because the pain was so severe and that was when I got the 2nd MRI and the saw the disc had ruptured and was pressing on the cord. Well I had no intention of having surgery even though they told me that it was the only way. I spent the next month with Steriods and epidural injections and decompression treatments and nothing worked!! I was losing all stregnth in my arm I could feel it. I was dropping things and the pain was severe. So I gave in mid april and that would have about 3 months or so after I first had the pain. But I did not start treating it until Febuary. I do not want you to suffer but this surgery is a LAST RESORT. I had exhausted all other options before I decided to do this. I have a long road before I am 100% if ever. My arm issues were fixed but I have areas that hurt now that were fine before because of post-op pain. So I pray that you find resolution because I had 4 pretty pain free years after my first diagnosis and would never have had the surgery if I could have managed the pain. I was told the longer I waited the more muscle loss would be permanent. I have full stregnth back in my arm so that is good but I believe that statement panicked me more. Just listen to your body because everyone is different the doctors told me that decompression would never work but it did and gave me yrs. You are going to hear the worst case scenario on this site but we are here for support no matter how it goes. You may be able bide yourself sometime with PT and I wish you the best. Sorry so long but that is my story I hope it helps. Blessings Kim
    Kimberly Martin
  • Like sunshinebry I have weakened left arm and periodically drop things. My latest MRI shows significant worsening of disc degeneration/bulging at c4 to c7. My issues started about 2003. Had many physical therapy sessions, nerve blocks etc until 2008 had laminectomy at c4/c5. I had the surgery due to loss of strength in my left arm. Surgeon said the surgery was to prevent further damage, not to stop pain. Now I'm facing a 3 level fusion in my future. I'm trying to postpone the inevitible by doing in home traction every day. It gives me some relief but not enough.
    Good luck to you, hope you can get some relief and avoid the surgery.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched