Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 weeks post MicroD, already re-herniated and devastated.ADVICE??

Hello all, I'm new to the Spine-Health forum. I'm not going to lie- reading all of the posts on here scares the living daylights out of me. I just had a microdiscectomy 5 weeks ago for an L5/S1 herniation that I have been in pain from for 1.5 years. Everything was fine until about a week ago when i ended up in the ER because of my pain, only to realize I have already re-herniated the same disc. My surgeon had me get a steroid injection 3 days after the ER which helped some, but now 1 week after the ER visit, the pain is getting bad again. I have an appointment to see my surgeon this week to talk about options but i'm just so frustrated that he hasn't seemed to map out a plan for me yet and i'm just sitting in limbo. I'm getting married in October and I'm worried I won't be able to go on my honeymoon because of the pain! My surgeon is saying that we are going to have to see how my symptoms are to determine if I can even start post-op PT, which he usually has patients start 6 weeks out. If anyone has re-herniated so quickly after a MicroD, any input is much appreciated. Thanks all.


  • I had my 1st microdisectomy on L5-S1 in June 2010. Pain levels went way down, tingling all but stopped for about a week. then pain started to climb again. Doc swore it was inflammation and to wait it out. tried the medrol packs, and then started PT. pain levels were bad long enough, i convinced him we should do a new MRI to see what was going on. Confirmed on MRI i had re-herniated the disc. And based on timing, it was blamed on severe constipation from the pain meds, so it happened a week after my 1st surgery.

    Went in for the revision 4 months after the 1st surgery, mainly because the new herniation was blocking 85-90% of my spinal canal. Doc was worried about cauda equina syndrone.

    Well, no major relief after the second surgery. PT for a while. (no more steroids though because i get migraines from them and the side effects kept getting more and more severe every time we tried them or an epidural, etc.) repeat MRI about 4 months after the second surgery showed the disc was herniated for the 3rd time.

    Basically, by the time i got through both surgeries, the wall of the disc was shot. there was no way it wouldn't reherniate. I managed to live with the pain for the next year and a half. The sciatic pain got better over time. Last 6 months, barely any sciatic pain, but in trade the low back pain went from nothing to non stop.

    I finally caved in, and had the fusion done not quite 5 weeks ago. I got to the point i couldn't stand the back pain anymore. So far i'm doing well, but my back still hurts by the end of the day. We'll see how much of it goes away once the incision is really healed properly. (and this was the 2nd fusion, i had a 2 level cervical done about 9 months ago also.)

    have you had a new MRI to confirm a re-herniation. Is it possible you're doing too much and its causing more inflammation in the area?
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • Hi tran92, yes, we did an MRI in the ER and it confirmed a re-herniation of the same disc. My dr. hasn't sat down with me to let me know how bad this new herniation is, or to compare the old MRI with the new yet. That'll be on Thursday of this week. The dr. that gave me the steroid injection this past monday said that many patients that re-herniate after surgery do quite well with the injection and that there is possibility of this new herniation healing itself. I'm lucky (as far as I know) that I only have 1 disc that is herniated and i believe that my MRI before surgery showed that all my other discs are relatively healthy so I hope it says this way. Thanks for your response. I do worry about even doing a 2nd surgery because if they take out more of my disc, I feel like eventually it would lead to a fusion like you. And I'm not ready to think about that just yet.... I hope your pain continues to get better and this fusion works for you!
  • i'm suppose to go into surgery and have three areas to handle and all have herniations and collapsed discs. I'm suppose to go to a doctor @ Stanford leading edge procedure and stay in hospital for two days due to having three areas and for pain management control. I'm already on fetynal patches muscle relaxers and stingers pain meds, screaming nerves all pinched! Shooting sparks, have been dealing with this for three years as I had no insurance
  • If the herniation is small, you do have a chance it will correct on its own. My doctors always told me, they do shrink and can get better. (i've really never been lucky enough to have that happen of course.) In my case, my 1st herniaton when removed was 1.5 inches by 1 inch or so. The second one they removed was 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches. (and yes, that's inches, not cm.) Both herniations were huge, and the second one was compressing so much of the spinal canal the doc was worried. Of course he didn't tell me that part until after the surgery. But it explains why he put me on the OR schedule so quickly.

    Its a good thing your other discs are in good shape. Gives you a much better chance. for me, i had the one lumbar disc, and 2 herniated in my neck. but i also have issues with l4-5. its not horrible yet, but its not good. However, my surgeon felt that it was still doing its job, so it didn't make sense to fuse 2 levels and get rid of it as well. I just hope that doesn't mean yet another surgery down the road, even though i kind of expect it at this point. i'll take whatever time i can get for now.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • It happened to me. I wish I could tell you take a deep breath, it will be okay but I know how you are feeling and don't want to upset you. I never really got relief and at 2-weeks suspected something was wrong and at about 8 weeks, convinced the surgeon to re-MRI and I had re-herniated the disc.

    I suspect you will have 3 options (1) wait and see if you can recover on its own; (2) revision MD; (3) fusion.
    Your surgeon may not say it but indeed those are your options.
    I had to visit about 6 surgeons to realize this and really decide my course of action.

    I opted for revision b/c fusion is a big big big deal with its own risks. I had the revision in Feb 2010 and had my sister's wedding to attend in October and was terrified I wouldn't make it or would be in for surgery 3. I took my time with recovery but remembered to do many small walks (10 min each; 4 times a day) and take anti-constipation meds b/c I too feared this caused my issue (though know now, it did not). Post 2nd surgery with nerve monitoring, I did better....nothing drastic but recovery wasn't too bad and within 3 months, I could walk without a limp and my leg pain had diminished.

    Explain to your doctor your concerns, your upcoming nuptual plan and honeymoon plans. I suspect you could wait on a 2nd surgery until post wedding. If you do this, just ask how he can help you with pain management.

    Good luck.
  • I had a reherniation like two months after my revision. My NS said you get two discectomies, then more invasive procedures are recommended. I was left no choice but to fuse L4-5. About a month after my fusion was back in the MRI machine cause L3-4 herniated due to the pressure from the fusion. I had L3-4 fused in June. Tomorrow I am having another MRI because they want to see how badly my L5-S1 is herniated. It was herniated on the previous MRI. I am looking towards another fusion in the future. If it was me personally I would do every preventive measure to stay away from surgery until it was really necessary.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • DNice, what level disc did you have the Micro D's done at? Were the rest of your discs relatively healthy?
Sign In or Register to comment.