Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After 8 surgeries and 2 more rods to go what kind of range of motion will I have??

blessedonebblessedone Posts: 1
edited 07/30/2012 - 10:40 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
HI Sorry I am trouble trying to figure out how to post. I do not see a "SUBMIT? button anywhere , I hit SAVE so I would not loose it and then saw it had been posted. Dont know what i am doing.
I have had so much surgery and need two more rods added to my existing one from C2-T2 so my entire back will be solid rods. I have had so much metel put in my neck. Had a Lamnioplasty c-3-c7 had no fliud getting to my brain, stenosis was really bad. needed 7 screws and on both sides on bottom cuz it was closed off and hear thats not the norm they dont like to do that.
Then in between 2 surgeries to take out plate that had been put in and putting in the 7 level rod, they found my neck was broken in 2 places. So cage was put in. They had the rod in place but had not been anchored down to any thing, and they had to wait to get a cage I guess because the broken neck was so unexspected.
And I had been moving while under anesth trying to get off my back everytime they put me there because of so much pain i have in lower back, even under heavy anesthesia, i move. And I had pushed the rod against my trach and couldnt breath so they had to got back in to place the rod again.
After I had been told i would not have to have ANY brace this time(and I have had them ALL) I awoke from surgery to find myself in a Halo. I am Very clostraphobic, however it is spelled. So i went bonkers to say the least. But I am wondering if anyone has ever had rods from
lierally top to bottom? Do you think i will have ANY range of motion at all????? I dont see how.
I am dealing with lumbar issues also, 25 yrs now had fusion there also, they think it will help that too to have the rod.

• LSLSLLSLS Posts: 10
    edited 08/11/2012 - 4:59 AM
    I have had C1 & C2 fusion, but with all you have been through, I'm surprised that you can still sit up to type. Other than what I have read on this site, I don't know too much about "cages" and the lumbar issues. As they possibly informed you, the C2 is the axis of your neck movement. You possibly will have some mobility issues with that disk being involved.

Since posting this on 7/31, have you had the surgery? If you are feeling well enough, I would be interested in what your outcome has been. I can't turn to the left, but have about 3/4 mobility to the right. Makes it uncomfortable to drive, as I can't look left.

Please let me know how you are doing...............................

C1 - C2 PCDF 2003
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I'm about 10% up down left and right in the ROM department. Fairly limited and only officially a three level. I am medically restricted from driving.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Boy you have been thru alot, complications with rod against trachea, and fracture in spine post-op...etc. And what a spirit, and your name being "blessedone" ((((hugs))))) to you !!

I have abnormal and only 1/2 vertebrae on C-1/2 which fused severe to left post birth; C-3 thru C-6 is surgically fused (bone implant ACDF 14 yrs ago), C-6/7 C8 is totally degenerated and has major osteophyte complex onto T-1/2. Basically my neck-thoracic down C-1 down to T-3 is fused (C-1 down to C-6, totally degenerated discs down to T-2/3, advanced degeneration T-4 to T-8). I have ROM from recent mva and lost what little I could have had center to right....20% 1/5 of normal range; center to left 10% 1/10th of normal (note: I have levoscoliosis - left curvature scoliosis); tilt head to right approx. 2-3 inches holding hand side of head to approx. movement; tilt head to left 1".ROM up/down 20% 1/5 of normal range.

I am active, drive and (if it weren't for neurocompression spine & shoulder injury problems from recent mva had 5 mos. ago and serious broad-side collision 4 yrs ago - I would be saying I was very active. I feel grateful & blessed neither mva caused permanent damage to spinal cord ....

p.s. re: Driving with ROM Ive adapted very well and have convex mirrors inside my SUV very wide rear view mirror & convex mirror (overlay 3" convex overlaying the standard 6" mirror) for my side mirors, great range with nothing not seen and in my view. For important out the side window for side traffic; move my torso to get full view.
    Other than that I don't feel restricted in day-to-day living.

I have some loss of movement in my lumbar (severe disc bulges on 3 levels) rhizotomy keeps me out of pain. (on the back burner on surgery list)

I would say you are a "Spiney Warrior" dear one. Welcome and no you are not alone on this journey :)

• Hi blessedone to say you have been through a lot would be an understatement. I can not imagine your pain level and must say you are very brave and strong for still standing and fighting. I don't know what to say as I can not fully comprehend what you deal with on a daily basis. God Bless you, Joe
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.
  • KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 08/16/2012 - 4:35 PM
    What an adventure you have had blessedone. I haven't seen anyone's story hear yet with such extensive work. Did they explain to you why you wound up with a halo? I'm sorry you got that surprise. At least when I woke up from ACDF I was anticipating waking up and still being intubated.

Please let us know how you're doing. Keep the faith!

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.