Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 week post op - C5-6

Hello all.
I made it :)

I feel good - my neck is stiff and I have to remind myself to move and turn my neck. For the most part I feel good - there is some discomfort in my left arm and my right shoulder but I go for my walks and stretch constantly.
The operation took 2.5 hours and the dr. spoke with my hubby afterwards, He said it went perfectly and that was very inflamed and I should feel relief. He's right.

I stopped taking the oxy - it kills my stomach and made me all loopy. Don't worry - if the pain gets too intense I have them at the ready. But I don't like feeling loopy.

I have no collar and he told me to go about as normal - just nothing to strenuous. So I do a bit more every day but I am sooooooo BORED. I know it takes time to heal but it's only been a week and I'm going bonkers.
I have noticed the incision is odd - it was smooth and soft at first. But my hubby and I noticed it is raised in some spots and hurts. I am wondering if an infection is setting in. Thinking of going to the walk-in clinic just to ease my mind.

Thankfully my girls are camping with my parents for the summer and my son and hubby are working, which leaves me the dog and the cat. We are all relaxing together - I am taking lessons from the pros. :)

Peace and painfree thoughts to you all.

• Thanks for the update and happy to hear things are going well.

Do you have any fever? Many times the incision will change is because of the more you are moving your neck it stretches and pulls a bit.

But if you have a fever and notice puss or oozing then yes, that needs attention for a possible infection. You can always call your Dr. first and tell them what is going on and they can advise whether to go see someone.

I know it's hard when boredom sets in but takes things one step at a time to not do too much. I've had 3, two-level, cervical fusions over the last 11 years so I can empathize!..

That's where my TV, dvds and computer come in handy! LOL

I hope things keep going well for you each day!
  • Congratulations on being 1 week post op! I am 2 weeks post op and am bored as hell too. My incision is lumpy and different too but not red or puss filled so you should be ok if its the same for you. Take care and continued good healing.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• Good luck on your recovery I am three weeks post op and am sooooo bored I'm a type A person you worked two jobs and volunteered not only for the Fire Department but also the ambulance so this is getting old. But I know what I went through to get here so I am taking very easy and my incision is also bumpy. God bless, Joe
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.