Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After spinal fusion legs won't move sometimes

Hello- I'm wondering if this has happen to anyone after spinal fusion. I'm fused from T-3 to S-1. Since my last back surgery in 1/2011 I have spells where my legs won't move. It last for like 5 mins. It's when I'm laying in bed. I have to pick my legs up and scoot them to the edge of the bed and pull my self up and let them hang over the bed before they will move again. Can anyone tell me what might be going on? I did get a staph infevtion in my T-11 T-12 area.

This is what I have gone through with 7 back surgeries since 1997:

Has anyone heard of getting scoliosis after spinal fusion T-11 to S-1? I DID! I have had 7 back surgeries 5 in a 10 month spand. I had a dr. fuse me from L- 2 to s-1. He took out my curve of the lumbar which I developed flat back. I went to a spinal specilistes who told me that I had flat back. He advised for me to have another surgery to put the curve back in my lumbar. He then fused me from T-11 to s-1. 3 weeks later I went to get my staples out the dr told me I had developed scoliosis. He said my spine had shifted from T-3 to T-12. I then had to go back into surgery to be fused from T-3 to S-1. I have 28 screws, rods and a cage. When he opened me up he found out that I had developed a stap infection in my T-11 T-12. This had happen from my December surgery 2010. I'm still on antibocs and was told that I will be on them for the rest of my life. I'm on doxycyline and rifampin which is a very strong medication. I have a chance to develope livrer problems. This all started out with my first surgery of 2 slipped disc of L-4 L-5 in 1997. I never ever thought that having a fusion would cause all of this. I blame the first surgen who performed my first 4 surgeries.

Would someone tell me what they think about all this?

• I have no thoughts but have you spoken to your doctor? I'm sure you have.
    Sounds like a circulation or nerve issue especially if they get going after a bit.
    You can't really blame anyone unless there was a really negligent surgeon. Sadly, back surgeries are never straight foward.

I hope they can figure this out.
    A few things (which I'm sure you know) - collect all the post operative reports from your surgeries.
    I have had 2 back surgeries and have the post-op report. They are interesting and you learn a lot about what really happened during the surgery.

Have they told suggested a holistic treatment plan post op? LIke muscular skeletal doctor (osteopathic or physiatrist).
    Why the antibiotics the rest of your life? Sounds like there is more there than I understand. As for liver...drink lots of water to keep your liver from having to work over time. Water helps flush your system.

I hope your recovery gets easier.
  • Four years after having a 5 level lumbar fusion, I developed scoliosis. No cause could be determined. I was faced with surgery in which all the hardware would be removed, new longer rods would be inserted, and months and months of rehab. Or, I could go to PT for however long it takes to strengthen my core and lower back muscles, hopefully to let me straighten out my spine. I chose the PT along with visits to a massage therepist for deep tissue massage. I did have some moderate success, enough so I avoided the surgery.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.