Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Checking in

Hi all, I have not checked in for awhile and it has been mostly because I am so exhausted after work i just do not want to be on the computer. So alot has changed for me, I was having all those issues with my wrists that I posted about. I thought carpul tunnel or arthiritis but before I could even figure it out it went away. No clue what hapened or how it was resolved but i had so many other issus I was thrilled with one less pain! So I can tell you that I have seen some improvement, I am still on modified hours at work of 6 hrs a day but this coming week is the max on how long my job allows reduced hrs so I will need to go back to 8 hrs a day come 8/20. I am actually fine about that, I feel like I am getting stronger, I am not pain free but I have pain free moments and somedays pain free hours. So I see a light at the end of the tunnel and its not a train. You have all told me 6months to 1 yr for recovery and I thank you for that because I was in so much pain I really thought that it was never going to get better but it has. I think that by 1 yr post op I could be close to pain free. I have an appt with the MD 8/15 to check on progression of the fusion and I will keep you posted on that. My last appt I had bone growth and was starting to fuse and that was 2 months ago, so I am hopeful that I have progressed. I just want to thank you all so much for your support I have had many meltdowns on these posts and you all talked me through it. I think this site saved my sanity more than once during those dark days. Constant pain can make you crazy. I do feel so much better, I am still on meds but have cut way down and am hoping to be med free at some point. I will keep you posted on the MD Appt. thanks again for evrything. Kim

3 level ACDF
Kimberly Martin

• glad things are looking better for you. Chronic pain does make you crazy most of the time. And sure is not easy to think of the light at the end in the long recovery process. Still have to take it easy, even when you feel like you can do anything.
    hugs and keep posting
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • I'm glad things are getting better. I am a month behind you on my 3 level. So, it's nice to see that there might be a light at the end of the tunnel for me, too. I'm still in pain, but the pre-op pain/numbness is gone. I started PT 2 weeks ago and it's been tough. Still on meds, even though the PA this week said I should be weening off. I told her, "not yet".

I know that everyone is different, but there are not too many of us 3 levels around. So, keep me posted on your progress. Here's to a pain free day.
    - Vin

3 level ACDF, c3/4, c5/6/7 in May 2012
  • Thanks for coming and letting us know how you are doing now almost 4 months after your 3 level ACDF.
    It is encouraging to read that you are slowly getting there and that you are hopeful that by 1 year out you will be nearly pain free. It is very helpful for those of us who are still waiting for our surgery.
    Keep up the good healing!

• susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 08/11/2012 - 4:23 PM
    I was so happy to read your post! Glad to hear you are having better days. Always remember a 3 level surgery is Major.
    Our bodies are amazing.

Take Care,
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • sunshinebry2000ssunshinebry2000 Posts: 81
    edited 08/11/2012 - 11:04 PM
    Vin G I was in PT for 6 weeks and I can tell you it took at least a month before I started to feel the results, I was also told by the PA to ween off the meds early on and like u I said I DONT THINK SO! Then I was in so much pain I wanted to slap her. I can tell you that if you do the excercises everyday ( there were many days I did not want to) I realized that it helped. I still do my PT excercises every morning and every night and if I miss a day I feel it. I think that was a light bulb moment for me, I thought I can barely move how am I suppose to stretch..it hurts. Well it hurts more if you dont. Good luck and stay with them as long as you can because the manual manipulation is one thing I cant do and I get pretty stiff from lack of that. Keep the faith.... hopefully I went through enough stress for both of us, It does get better it just takes time and pacience ( not one of my strong suits) I will keep in touch. I can finally be a resource instead of a burden on this site!
    Kimberly Martin
  • So glad to hear good news from you, Kim! Thanks for the update. :)
  • Hi Kim good to hear from you and I hope you next appt goes well, I hope your pain decreases over time. I am 5 weeks post op and still have pain but also realize I have more problems with my neck then one disc. I agree with you about this site it has also saved my sanity because unless you have spine pain you can't undertand. When you go back to work full time I pray your body adjusts quickly and the pain will be manageable. Thank you for all your post as I know they helped me. Your spiney brother Joe.
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.
  • Certainly is good to hear things are progressing for you. Admire you returning to work and think of when I had my ACDF C-3 thru C-6 I was not working and don't know I could have done it! Good for you and so hoping the full hours can be paced in each week, like 3 days a week then 4days at 8 hrs. Would they consider that for you? Versus into full week of 8 hrs - - here's hoping for you :) Glad you are taking it easy and not biting the keyboard when you get home.

You know it took me that 1 year mark to feel back to normal (and that was with a mva, hit in my driver door, kid in a Transam and I'm sitting still at the stoplight (2 cars back) - - I'm telling you the cars will find us :) !!! can you believe it
    - - he was high and papa had just got him his new red Transam 18yr kid, wreckless turn to bypass a cement truck, lost control in intersection and put on accelerator instead of brake - - fish-tailed thru intersection I was in cross stopped traffic he missed the 2 cars in front of me and got me !!!!

That was 5 mos into my bone implant fusion 3-levels - - God did take care of me, neuro-spasms came back with a vengeance, but I fused well at 7 months :)

Anyway - - keep up your spirit, by TLC for you, pacing and getting good R&R okay, Spiney Warrior Woman :) !!!