Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, I'm Melissa. Several issues.

Hello Everyone!

Well, my name is Melissa. I'm about to turn 30 and I have two children, a one year old girl and a five year old boy. I have had back issues for as long as I can remember. I was diagnosed at age 12 with degenerative disk disease. I have been told by many doctors that the damage to my spine looks similar to that of someone in their 50's-60's. I also have sciatica and osteoarthritis. Secondary to all of this (well, not secondary, but not directly spine related) I have PTSD, Bipolar Disorder I, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, PCOS, Endometriosis, Fibromyalgia, Migraines, and high blood pressure. I have a lot of pain and swelling, as well as stiffness, in the cervical spine, but none of the doctors seem to want to check that area out. I do have an extrusion with annular tear at L5/S1.

I've read through this site several times, and have found some good information. I've had MRI's, CT Scans, Xrays done, as well as ultrasound and EMG. I've tried physical therapy, both on land and in water, massage, TENS Unit, lidocaine injections, trigger point injections, yoga, meditation.......I've had bilateral epidurals, spinal manipulations by a DO, numerous pain medications ranging from Tylenol to Kadian to Butrans and everything in between. I've been on Lyrica, Cymbalta, and a few other meds in that category. We've tried Lidoderm. Thus far, nothing has helped so at this point, the doctors have stopped all forms of pain medication and relief since nothing seems to give relief without causing other issues that make it dangerous for me to take. Currently, I'm on Lithium, Lisinopril, Prilosec, Pepcid, and Promethazine.

Regardless of what anyone else believes, my pain level on a daily basis ranges from a 7-9. Going to the hospital has proven pointless as I've been there so many times over the last nearly 20 years for back pain that they now give me Demoral, Phenergan and Benadryl via IV, take new xrays, and send me on my way. I don't drink or do drugs. I don't smoke. Every day is a battle. I don't live, I exist. I am tired of the fight and tired of the mental and physical anguish, which of course leads to emotional anguish when I see the disappointment on my son's face when Mommy can't do things physically that his friends' parents can. I know other people have it worse, at least I don't have cancer or something terminal, but in a way, this seems worse. I don't have an ending in sight to my suffering. I used to be a positive person. Now I'm positively depressing.

• You will find a lot of support on this site. I find it very enlightening to be able to talk to someone who understands what i am going thru. I have had five back surgeries and I am possibly having a sixth here in the future. I have already had L3-L5 fused. Now my L5-S1 disc is herniated. I also have Bipolar I disorder. I find that my back problems affect my moods as well. My psychiatrist had to up all my meds after my first fusion in february. Have you considered talking to your doctor about maybe a med change so you won't be so depressed? I just wanted to welcome you and let you know you are not alone. You can PM me at anytime if you need to talk.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Hello Friend!!!

Nice to meet you. I am new one in this community. I hope you will accompany with me.

Trust Haddin
  • Your comment on how it could always be worse really hit home for me. I know this sounds absolutely terrible but there are times when I wish chronic pain was terminal, it doesn't seem fair to have to deal with this amount of pain and have no relief in sight.

I have a question for you. How difficult were your pregnancies in dealing with your back pain? My husband and I want to start a family but my pain level (L5-S1) is so high as it is that I'm really terrified of what pregnancy will add to it. What were you able to do to relieve pain while you were pregnant?
    23 years old, female, back problems began at age 13.

Herniated disc at L5-S1. Microdiscectomy in '05, fusion in '07. No relief found other than the daily tramadol.

New: neck pain with radiating tingling/pain down both arms into hands.