Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical SCS....

I have read up a lot on SCS's, but I see a lot more on lumbar/thoracic, not cervical. Anyone that has had one for the cervical area, I would love some feedback. Did you have to wear a hard collar with the trial and/or permanent implant? How was/is recovery. I know it is still the same concept, whether it is cervical, lumbar, or thoracic, but as far as recovery, just curious about cervical in particular, since that is what I will be getting.

I hope to hear from my doctors office early this week about getting scheduled for my trial.

• I had he trail for both lumbar and cervical. Loved both of them. At implant time surgeon said he could not install the cervical unit as I will have to have a major surgery to place the leads. In the future I will need more surgery in the cervical area and they will do it then. More waiting. Now as far as the test went it was great. I am fused at C5 C6 and C7 with nerve damage at almost every level from C3 down and cord damage at C6 and C7. The scs covered my neck pain, pain between shoulder blades, pain in top of my arms and the best was it covered the burning feeling in my arm pits. When you have the trail be smart, keep it clean and dry. On the last day of my five day trail I felt so good I mowed my yard, got hot and sweaty which released the tape holding the test unit which pulled the leads down about three inches. That change of the leads went from helping my neck to shocking my chest. Not good LOL
    Overall I can't wait to get a cervical unit implanted. I use a IF unit now that helps alot, its like a tens unit but is a faster cycle and higher voltage then the tens and reaches the spinal nerve without bothering the muscles like a tens does at a higher setting. I hope it gives you some relief and keep in mind once implanted and leads scar in it even gets better.
    Any questions let me know
  • Sorry I didn't answer your questions LOL
    I had no collar during the test and I do not believe you need one after a implant.
    There is really no recovery for the trial. There will be some pain during the lead placement but its not long lasting.
    When they remove the test leads it will feel strange for for just a few mins.
    Very important when the rep is programing your unit make sure you feel the sensations where you have pain for the best results. The Rep can make all the difference in the programing. I hope this helps you, my lumbar unit is a lifesaver.
  • Just sent you some tips in your inbox. Hope Im not too late, just read your post.
  • Thank you so much! This is all great info. I will not be getting my trial for at least 3-4 weeks. I called my docs office and they said by the time they get the psych eval paperwork, send it to insurance, and get approval, it's at least 3 weeks. I can't wait to get the trial!

Rick, the coverage you said you got on cervical, is amazing! Those are all my big problem areas. If I get that kind of relief, I may just jump up and down :-)
  • kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
    edited 08/21/2012 - 11:56 AM
    and you SHOULD BE! I pray (literally) that you get the good results that I've gotten so far. I am already off of at least 1/3 of my meds so far and despite the cold I'm fighting right now (zinc, zinc, zinc) I feel like a new person. I'm pretty sure you said you are getting medtronics (s) and their support is second to NONE. My test was good but the final product is so much better. And it's so nice not to have to use my tens all the time! Following your progress with great interest.
  • Mel,
    I have a cervical SCS due to a car accident resulting in surgery on my left arm and hand. The surgery left me with RSD in my whole arm, shoulder, and hand but this has really helped a lot. I never had a collar but have 3 incisions from the top of my neck down to my rear just to keep the leads in place and get the best coverage. The cervical has been nice for me because the amount of stimulation is a lot lower than that for lumbar SCS's ( less than a 1 as opposed to a 3 or 4). However, that is what my Medtronics rep told me. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! I may not be as helpful as those who have had theirs longer but I can try to help just from my experience :-) I hope you find it as helpful as I have and that it works well for you!!!