Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have lots of questions

So my back pain has been so unbearable I ended up in the ER recently and decided that PM wasn't going to be enough this time. So I have started the process and have come across lots of challenges along the way. Trying to bypass certain diagnostic procedures did't help he. MRI was not enough. Now plus the MRI I had a Bone Scan and a Discogram as well.

The Ortho surgeon mentioned that I was looking at a four level fusion. And that he was unsure that my pain level would be any better. Next he is teaming up with a Neuro Surgeon to get hi opinion. Or should I say, now I have to wait for his office to fax all my paperwork over to the Neuro office and then they call me to schedule an appointment. More co-pay crap! I feel like I have been copayed to death. Anyway back on topic, get the Neuro opinion and then go back to Ortho to review and make plan of action.

Questions listed below.:
1. For a four level fusion, how long will I be off work? (I have a desk job)
2. How long will I be in terrible pain after surgery?
3. What can I expect that I have missed?

4. How in the world do people who work have time to take off for all these procedures and make time for a surgery and recovery time?

5. for those who have had this surgery, are you better off now that you have had the surgery?

Anything you guys can add please feel free.

Thank you

• First off what part of the spine are you referring to the neck or the back? Do you know which type of entry they will be doing? Are you using your bone or something else? Hopefully they explained the more levels the harder it is for the fusion to take place?

One other thing don't feel bad about getting multiple opinions, heck I would also get a independent opinion. It bothers me that they say they don't know where the pain generator is? There are blocks they can do, to rule out different things. Keep in mind also the more levels they fuse the more ROM(range of motion), you will loose. It is just not as easy to fuse 4 levels and say okay all is good. You will find a greater amount of patients left in chronic pain with the multiple levels. Just something to think about.

Hopefully you can give some more information on the surgery itself and then others can chime in, as to what they went though.