Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks post ACDF

Hello all
Just wanted to check in and let everyone know how I am doing. I feel better than I did before my surgery. Although still having throat issues, can't eat certain foods and my voice is weak. Sure the family doesn't mind ;P but I find my voice gets weak if I talk too long.
I am a little concerned that my right side is now injured because I am having the same symptons on the right that were on the left before the surgery. Still have 3 weeks before my follow up so maybe its just a short-term effect.
I am going stir crazy not working and doing not much all day. I am tempted to go back to work early but the other day I had an out-of-town funeral and was on the go all day. I had to take a pain pill that night so my body is telling me - I need to take the time and heal. So I go for my walks and do stretches - taking each day at a time.
Hope everyone is healing and we are all on the way to pain-free days.

• Hi!

Glad to hear you are having less pain than you did pre op. After my acdf I also got scared becasue i had very similar pain on my right side. The body does weird things! That did go away, and seems to be a common thing.

Sleep easy!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • it sounds like you are well underway with your recovery now.
    What good news to hear that you are better than before surgery, even after only 3 weeks.
    I have read of others starting to have symptoms on the other side after surgery. It must be a worry, but hopefully as Donna says, it is just your body doing weird things.

Reading that you are still having throat issues and that there are some foods that you can't eat. I was wondering what are the things you can't eat and what are the foods that are easy to eat.
    I think I will write a list to help me know what to have in the house for after my ACDF.

Keep up the good healing
  • Like Donna, I had pain in different places after than before but it decreased over time.

Kris, I don't recall how many levels you had. I had 4 and my throat and voice were very affected post ACDF. My voice improved slowly over a number of months, and the swallowing took a couple of months of slowly re-introducing some things and starting with teeny tiny bites. Easy stuff included mashed potatoes, ice cream, potato chips (they crunch down to itsy bitsy pieces), tuna (with mayo), spaghetti w/marinara sauce, creamed corn or spinach, jello...

Take care.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
    edited 08/14/2012 - 9:52 AM
    Jellyhall- I stocked up on ice cream, pudding, juice, ensure and things like that for after my surgery... well guess what! I didn't need any of it! I could swallow completely normal right after I woke up from my surgery. I ordered bacon the next morning in the hospital and they told me no you can't have that you will choke! Well I wouldn't have choked. Funny though, I had issues with tightness and swallowing after my acdf but it didn't start till a month post op.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Kris2learnKKris2learn Posts: 15
    edited 08/14/2012 - 4:54 PM
    Hello all.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope I am one of the lucky ones and this new pain on my right side is just temporary.
    I had a level 1 ACDF of C5-C6 and hope this fixes my problems.
    Swallowing breads just is not happening, I need water to get it down. I constantly feel like I have something stuck in my throat and my voice is weak. Smoothies and ice cream feels amazing on my throat. Straws were my bestfriends after the surgery because I couldn't tilt my head back to drink. I just stopped using them.
    I thought of another question. Anyone else find they are extremely “burpy”? I think it' because I have to gulp to get things down? Or is this just me?
    Oh my poor husband finds I wake him at night. Not from snoring but from what he calls Darth Vadering :). I guess because of my throat issues - mouth breathing and sleeping are are causing sleep dosturbances for my husband. Anyone else suffering from Darth Vadering?
    Thanks all. Painfree thoughts headed your way.
  • I hope I will be as lucky as you and be able to swallow fine. I have read that the higher up the level fused, the greater the chance of having swallowing issues. I will be having C3/4 and C4/5 worked on, so I had better prepare for problems. I will stock up on ice cream and smoothies and maybe put some homemade soups in the freezer. I have read that some people find that thicker liquids are easier to swallow than thin. Do others agree with this?

• I haven't had surgery but I also sound like Darth Vader!!
    I have wondered if my neck issues could be causing this or is it just me getting older? I never used to snore or make nocturnal noises! I sometimes wake myself up with a really loud snort!

Keep healing, and please, if you think of other foods / drinks that are good and soothing for a post-surgery throat, do let me know.