Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new to site. chronic neck, back, shoulder, and leg pain. NEED HELP SOS

BookAlexanderSBBookAlexanderS Posts: 16
edited 08/13/2012 - 8:16 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello! I just found this website, my name is Alex and i am 23 years old. In january of 2006 i was in a severe snowboarding accident. Injuries i suffered are open right tib/fib break, thigh muscle ripped from right thigh, fractured right hip, ruptured my spleen, lacerated my kidney, broke some ribs, collapsed both lungs, fractured skull, and 6 fractured vertabrea in my upper back and neck. I guess the doctors did tell my parents that they were not sure of all of the injuries i incurred because of how many different injuries i had head to toe.

So that was six and a half years ago... As of now, i suffer in excruciating the majority of the day every day. I no longer remember what it is like to wake up in the morning and not be in excruciating pain. So much pain that i am barely able to stand or sit, i am forced to bend foward and bear most of my weight on my stomach and rock back and forth. Throughout the day it does not get much better. The worst part is even trying to get in bed to relax does not help whatsoever. It seems the longer a stay still the more intense the pain becomes. I regularly do not sleep more than3-4 hours a night. Some nights i am unable to sleep untill i can absolutely not stay up any longer. The being unable to sleep has been going on for about three months now. It is slowly driving me crazy because there is nothing i can do to make the pain bearable. It feels like there are 5 small screwdrivers in my back and every 10-15 someone grabs each one and gives them a good twist. It is constant and there arent times it is significantly better. However it is significantly worse when it rains or snows. Also my left shoulder blade hurts and feels like it might fall out of its socket. I was never told i did and damage to my left shoulder. My leg dose bother me occasionally but it dosnt compare to my back and neck. My neck is always very sore awsell, often i have to hold my head between my legs or constantly look at the ground when i walk or sit. Obviously hanging my head all the time makes me feel terrible about myself. I am the type of person who works his ass off, is willing to help for nothing in return, go out and be active. I love outdoos i kayak and weekly i bike 20-30 miles. I hate having to hang my head all the time. I am proud of who i am and do not like not feeling like myself all of the time. I do not walk and run as much as i can because walking alone is painful and drains me of energy. I am 6ft 1" and athletic build, doctors have not found a reason for all the pain. I am flexible, stong, and fairly healthy as far as diet. My neck feels just to weak to hold up my head all the time or even half the time. Also on my lower right side of stomach i feel like an organ has constant uncomfortable pressure on it. Also, when my leg broke they had to put a plate in, so i now have a shorter right leg. While i was 5months bed ridden after my accident i grew about 6 inches. In that time i did very little standing or sitting. Also my back spasms ALL OF THE TIME, when i try to sleep at night the bed shakes lightly all the time. I am sorry for such a long post. I am desperate for help, i just do not know what to do anymore. It makes life so daunting and miserable, I am only 23 and i know my pain will just keep getting worse. It is so incredibly hard to go on when i do not see any relife in my future. I never have energy to go out for more than 2 hours. I am at a loss. There are times i want to drop to my knees and cry.

Hardest thing is that i got addicted to pain killers after my accident and did not realize how seriously addictive and bad they are for you. But the only thing that helps is narcotics. I have been through withdraw many times and stopped usine. But i feel i have no other option. I can take three flexeril at once and still not be able to sleep, and does nothing for pain. Where i live (frederick, Maryland) i am unable to get anything other than motrin from doctors. And even the pain managememt kicked me out after 6 months. Another doctor had told me that would happen and it did... and its becoming more and more difficult to not go back to getting pain meds off tthe street. I am not a type to get them and get really messed up. Well i told the pain mamagement about that. Now none of them will help me.

Any help would be greatly appriciated,
Alexander Stanton.

P.S. i do know some people cant take even small pains. This is not me, i was raised country and can take lots of pain and work hard as hell. But i cant do this, im not sure many could. I need some relife. =(

• Wow, you did an amazing job just surviving your injuries. Kudos to still being so active and fit through the pain. Are there doctors you are using for follow-up because of your many issues? It's too bad there isn't a Dr. House who can really help us ID the cause for the issues we have. It looks like the change in your sleeping is new - maybe a Neurologist might be able to see what may be related to your head injuries? Have you tried acupuncture or acupressure? It doesn't help everybody but may be worth a round to see.

I am sure others will be able to suggest more. I wanted you to know that someone's listening.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • BookAlexanderSBBookAlexanderS Posts: 16
    edited 08/21/2012 - 10:25 AM
    Thank you for the input. I belive i know what is wrong. I was reading about what it feels like to have a spinal compression fracture. I am almost certain i have had a compression fracture for about 8 months lol. I will let yall know when i am certain. My next question... tell me how i have been to the emergency room twice recently, told the the pain has been significantly worse in the past 6-8 months and that my back feels as though it is collapsing on itself. And they send me home with no xray or anything? When i tell them i contimplate suicide because the pain is so unbearable. I would like to stop this, wuth all them shit people out there not in pain able to get big pain meds prescribed and whatnot. But people who arebin REAL pain have such a damn hard time getting any help at all? It is bullshit, i may try to make a case against this dr just to get a point across that because of all these drug addics, doctors overlook or dont help people in severe pain...

Would love any thoughts heh.
    edited 08/21/2012 - 9:32 PM
    Same emergency room i was at maybe a month ago, and have been there twice since december. And yup fracture at t11. Maybe more higher but didnt have them take any more xrays 2night. No insurance not enough $$.
    edited 08/31/2012 - 11:15 PM
    Was diagnosed. With dextroscoliosis on aug 22nd.was never told about. Had to read radiology report and ask what that was and why i wasnt told. Truely belive it is paralytic scoliosis..... they tried to cover it up too....
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 09/01/2012 - 12:12 AM
    I am so sorry that you have had to go through so much at such a young age.
    I really hope, that now you have a diagnosis, doctors will want and be able to help you.
    Please don't give up hope that things will improve. Sometimes people get to a really low level emotionally with really high levels of pain before finally investigations are done to find out exactly what is going on.

It is so easy to look critically at the doctors, especially when the reports showed what was going on.
    I hope that you will be able to now look to the future and that a plan will be formulated to get your pain down to a bearable level and to get you more mobile and improved your sleeping.

Please let us know how you progress. You will find a lot of understanding and supportive people here.
    Take care and keep hoping,
  • Thank you!
    I am more optimistic than i have been for a long time. I have gone out of my hometown to find help. I recently went to George Washington university hospital. Told them what i now know and they are going to help me =)
    Just gotta get thru labor day weekend.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 09/02/2012 - 6:09 AM
    I hope that you will have/ have had a good weekend and that this hospital will keep searching for something that will make a big difference to your pain, and that then you will be able to enjoy life again.

Take care, and do come and let us know how things go.