Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Im having surgery soon and have no idea what equipment I should have at home for after the surgery. i kinda know what to expectbut I want to be ready for when I come home. Any sugestios would be apretiated.

• bergbberg Posts: 140
    edited 08/14/2012 - 4:33 PM
    Type in Post-Op must haves in the search box top of page. Good luck on your surgery.
  • EmilyEEmily Posts: 112
    edited 08/15/2012 - 12:33 AM
    The recommendation list on the site is excellent!

For me, after my L5/S1 ALIF the most useful things were:

1. Slippery satin sheet (for turning over)
    2. A proper hospital bed at home for first few weeks
    3. Shower chair and soap on a rope
    4. A back scratcher!
    5.Push-in slippers
    6.A wiper for the loo (curved handle that grabs wet wipe). The best purchase ever!
    8. Phone app (that my very clever daughter wrote) for medication schedule and dose linked to alarm
    9. Short attention span box sets for TV
    10. iPad (so much easier than laptop), wonderful as bedside TV on little book stand for when you're lying on your side
    11. Down mattress topper
    12 U shaped pillow (marvellous for draping over, propping up for visitors.)
  • a rise and recliner {electrical} is a must i could not have managed without mine .and i still use it today i sleep in it half the night and sit in it during the day ..we also had the bathroom remolded to have a floor level large power shower installed .there are some very good ideas above the grabber {try amazon cost about 6pound} a must .and be patient ALIF take some recovering from .its been 8 months since mine and i am no where near recovered .good luck
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014