Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy WITHOUT laminectomy??

Greetings all!

Was curious if anyone knows whether a discectomy can be done WITHOUT having the accompanying (hemi)laminectomy? I had a micro-D done at L5-S1 (left side) five years ago, and rehernatied at the same level within a year. I'm now symptomatic on the right side, and firmly believe that the bio-mechanical disruption of having a hemi-laminectomy (performed by the surgeon to gain access the the nerve/disc space...yet without my knowledge) contributed to my current problems....a function of compensation and compromised gait/motion. I thought I recalled there being a procedure (conducted caudally) which allows the surgeon to come UP the spine, avoiding the need to remove bone? 1) Am I just imagining, and 2) does anyone know of/ have experience with such an approach? Given that I'm considering the possiblity of another discectomy, I want to limit have much morbidity and 2nd/3rd order effects I experience afterward. Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated!

Best regards!
Alan (shmoo_usn@yahoo.com)

• DNiceDDNice Posts: 1,962
    edited 08/15/2012 - 3:16 PM
    Have to admit on my first MD, I was shocked when I got my post operative report and saw the laminectomy part. I thought - darn, this guy never said he was cutting any bone. But then I realized it is a part of the procedure and normal.

Are you sure you are facing another discectomy or just hurting and speculating?

Just for some sanity for you, I ruptured my disc, had a micro-discectomy that did not work the 1st go around.
    They told me my limp and hip pain was due to me compensating for 2 weeks while waiting for surgery. Not true.

Had 2nd surgery about 5 months later (won't get into why it took long) but after 3 months finally stopped limping. Fast forward 2 years and I started having significant pain again. MRI showed increased scar tissue. So why the increase lower back pain (couldn't stand in the morning or move at night without wincing in pain) and terrible hip pain? Turns out, the initial PT I got was good for stabilizing me. But I had done such a good job that I was relatively 'off alignment' and my muscles on 1-side were so tight that it was causing the pain. I am not pain free but wow, learning some additional tricks of the trade for stretches and exercises has made a difference. And I learned the side I thought was strong was actually not relative to what it needed to be.

Good luck.