Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

18 Months After Surgery Hip Pain and Sciatica

I had a L4/L5 Laminotomy and ever since the day after my surgery felt a new pain that I didn't go in with... Nerve pain down my right leg. At first it was burning, like I had dipped my whole leg into a hot boiling tub of oil. That pain went away after a few months and ever since I have had some dull pain down my leg, but nothing too bad.

Suddenly now, 18 months afterwards I am feeling a very strong sharp pain in my right hip and down into my foot. It feels as if someone is hammering a four inch nail into my hip at night when I'm trying to roll over, get up out of bed or just laying on my back. Ugh.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm sure hoping that I don't have to go under the knife again... I was not happy with my doctor's bedside manner in the first place - Once I was released from the hospital I only spoke to the nurse and that was about my pain pills. No follow up no nothing.

• I would talk to your doctor. I suspect you may need some PT b/c you are probably compensating or have tight muscles.
    I found PT (under supervision of a physiatrist) helped me figure out my newly found pains without requiring additional surgery.

I would call the office OR your general practitioner who can offer the same advice.
    If either of them are concerned, they will order an MRI prior to sending you to PT.

Good luck
  • BkinsBBkins Posts: 364
    edited 08/16/2012 - 3:23 AM
    If my surgeon treated me like that I'd be finding a new one. Yes, it is a PIA but usually what you get from the effort is worth it. Actually I would get a couple of opinions after you have had some tests done. The whole deal with trying to find a new surgeon and getting more opinions I also found to be problematic as it seems to be a crapshoot. Some of us have so much going on that most surgeons won't get involved so we are stuck with a smaller pool of surgeons to pick from.

Time to get on the test trewadmill again to find out what is causing your situation.

Good luck
  • Thank you guys... I think you're correct. I have noticed since I started swimming again and stretching, that my back is feeling better the last few days. I will go to my pain doctor here where I live first and see what she says. I trust her a lot more, since a few monts after my surgery I had major pain after riding in a cab in London and hitting a pothole... She then prescribed oral steroids that made me feel SO MUCH BETTER within days.

A friend of mine had a similar surgery at Kaiser in Oakland, CA and her doctor put her on the same steroids within days after her surgery and she's healing very fast. I think my doctor was old school and had awful bedside manner. I would have thought that USCF in San Francisco would be better than that.

Anyway, thanks for your responses and help.

Be well