Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Congenital scolisis

thanks for letting me in this forum. When I was 12 years old it was determined that I have congentialnscolisis. The T2 & T 3 are fused together causing the problem. The Dr. at that time explained to my parents there was nothing to do but have ne x rayed every 6 months untill I was 18. This is what was dome. No changes in the curve occurrd during those 6 years. The Dr. Did tell my parents not to allow me to play tackle football in high school.
At the age of 35 I deceided to join the US ARMY. I passed all the physical exams put through by the ARMY. I went throug boot camp and my job training with not a single problem , no pain no limitations.. I'm still a member of the ARNY reserves.
I recently applied for a firefighter job, I was given a interview then sent on a physc test no problems, then I was sent to a walk in clinic for a physical while looking at my chest x ray the Dr. Noticedy scoliosis and sent the x rays to a radiologist to be read. The radiologist gave his report the the Dr. Stating I had a 54 degree of curve with the Cobb angle. The Dr. Would not give me the ok to be a fireman. TheDr. At no time did not perform a range of motion check or a strenth test reflex just said I was a no go. I got copies of my first MRI and had them compared with the new x rays and had a private Nuro surgeon compare them . His reort says there has been no changes and my back and neck is just as stable as some one with a normal spine. Can some one tell me why I can perform my duties as a solider but not be allowed to become a fireman.
Do I have a right to take this to another level or fight the Dr. Decision to reject me.
Any answer will be appreciated
Thanks a very dejected young man

• JoydancerJJoydancer Posts: 463
    edited 08/27/2012 - 4:00 PM
    I hear what you are having to go through with hopefully being able to move forward in spite of your scoliosis in becoming a fireman, especially when you have been able to be a soldier.

Your question about....why you cannot be allowed to be a fireman when you we able to perform duties as a soldier?

I would not be medically qualified to end an opinion, but I want to share where my heart went when I just read and was so moved by your post and what you are moving through...

Medically, was wondering if you could talk further with your NeuroSurgeon to see what he may know how best to proceed. I know it's not in the realm of his surgical experience, but with him doing assessments and up close with scoliosis patients and the fine assessment he did with yours, to know how others may have opened the door in the job/performance level and possibly more specifically in firefighting. Don't be surprised if someone responds to your post, be patient and dont take delays as not being interested in responding to you or sharing (timing of when other Spineys come on-line not daily) and the number of posts you know....who may have known someone who got an in-road to firefighting and physical tests :) as a fireman !

I wanted to say, my heart goes out to you for what you have been able to do in being "normal" (and really beyond what "normals" would do for that matter !!!) and having a creatively designed t-spine (a/k/a scoliosis) and it being a part of your journey :) !!

I have congenital scoliosis in the upper part of my c-spine, malformed vertebrae pre-birth, adaption fused 2/3 level on one side, I call it my miracle part of my neck !! Although I had DDD take over because of the scoliosis, curvature putting more load and problems for C-4 down and required ACDF surgery C-4 thru C-6 and had bone implant fusion....and with mva's that upper level has not snapped and continues to hold on to its maladapted nature and hypermobile on one side / fused on the other - - no surgeon could have known how to fix it for it to continue to turn my head, take the load & even to the extreme sudden head torques (mva) - - it's my miracle part of my neck :) !!!

I say kuddo's big time to you - - that you moved into life being normal and doing supra-normal as a <<< Soldier in the US Army >>>>

<<<< God bless you and Thank You Dlubrano>>>>>> !!!

and that you have the continued heart and passion to move into another role in life of "fighting for life and safety" as a Fireman !!

I would say, they would be blessed to have YOU - - your courage, passion and surpassing what may not be "normal" !!

Re: Dr. Decision - - my thoughts....He may have a narrowed view regarding anamolies of the spine and may need a tweek of getting a wider view or adjustment in perspective beyond your radiology scan, with full awareness of your abilities and performance in the US Army. Wondering in your evaluation and physical assessment if the picture of a flat scan of your creative designed spine and why it should be the dead-end for passing the physical "ability" testing ?!

I would say they need a wider perspective in their evaluation to allow a radiologist looking at a flat scan of your spine, and it being possible that such anatomy of the spine, could prove to be physically possible and stable and it HAS been in your credentials and physical stripes you have earned as a US Soldier in the Army Reserves - - stretching their limited view and it does happen - - yes, "an anomaly a creative one in the spine" may surprise a radiologist or a physician and learn how - - it's been a passionate young man with an anamoly in his spine continuing to choose dutiful roles in life "fighting the fight for life" !!

Kuddo's RahRahRah Dlubrano !!!

I bet there is a turn around this corner and its not a dead-end Soldier - -

and your next stepping stone is appearing...:)

Looking forward to hearing the next step you take Dlubrano :) !!!

This discussion has been closed.