Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy 2 weeks ago. Numbness still and achy left leg

Anthony92AAnthony92 Posts: 4
edited 08/19/2012 - 9:15 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I just had a microdiscectomy on August 2nd. Right after surgery I had immediate relief.The pain that ran down my left leg and all of the butt pain was completely gone. Also I had burning pain in my butt that disappeared after as well. Before surgery I couldn't push off of my toes but now I can. I had major weakness in both legs. I feel so much stronger now.

I also had numbness in my genitals and right side of my butt that has not disappeared. How long does it take for numbness to go away. This really bugs me.
Also sometime on the numb part of my butt I feel tingles. Does that mean it is healing?

Recently August 14th I started to feel like major soreness in both of my calves. And my left leg is achy. Completely different than before surgery.

My name is Anthony and I'm 19

• Hey there, sounds like your surgery has gone well. It's a slow process. You are so young to have gone through a back surgery already but happy to hear you got relief. Keep taking it easy and be careful and follow doctor's orders.

It's a good sign that you got some immediate relief post op!

As for the numbness, it's hard for anyone to tell you how long that will take. Nerves are a funny thing. The doctor's told me a lot depends on how hard the nerve(s) were hit, how badly they were compressed, and how long they were compressed for. And then, it still depends. I think there is some crazy calculation but I wouldn't be able to take a guess.

You are going to have changes as you increase your activity level. I think you want to discuss changes with your doctor. I kept a journal. Some of it may be minor inflammation that is causing stiffness/soreness in your calves, but I suspect around 6 weeks post op, your doctor will send you to PT>

I wish you the best in a continued positive recovery experience!

(it took me 2 surgeries but 6 months post op to get rid of my pain and get my strength back so compared to that, you are doing well!)
  • After your surgery do you feel completely normal like before your injury?
    Also I have a job I took a lot of time off from. It's a physical job. Walking whole time. Crouching, bending and lifting which is probably what caused my injury in the first place. Do you think it's a good idea to go back to this job or try to find a less active job? Or how long you think i should wait till I go back to it? I just don't want the old pain back. I was so depressed and hard for me to move. Even shaving and showering we're the toughest things to do. As I couldn't stand up for long before the pain was excruciating.
  • It's hard to say if you'd feel "normal" after surgery, but you're so recently after surgery it's too soon to tell. I know at 19 it's tough to be patient. If you are thinking of going back to your physical job, I'd talk to your primary care doc or surgeon about potential issues. I definitely think you should have PT so you can make sure you build up your muscles appropriately and you really learn how to move appropriately. My husband had a microdiscectomy when he was 30. After he recovered and finished PT he remembered the exercises. Sometimes he slacks off and then when he starts to feel twinges or tingling in his toes, he concentrates on the exercises. He works at a computer most of the time. I would think the soreness in your calves and perhaps your leg is because you had been much less active or couldn't do as much. Now you're feeling better and might be overdoing it. About your numbness, like D said, it's very early in your recovery I had surgery in my neck a year ago May, and I still have numbness in my neck.

Take care. I hope this is your last surgery.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thanks for the reply. The surgeon told me at 6 weeks after surgery he was going to send me to physical therapy. I've actually been very careful with how much I do. I walk for like 10 to 20 minutes with a cane and then rest for awhile then do it again. I have a recliner where I rest. I never drive as before surgery it made me fill worse so if I need to go somewhere I make someone take me.
    Is it normal to have weird feelings where it is numb (not pain)?
    Can your husband move around without pain and be able to excercise like running, swimming?
  • KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 08/19/2012 - 2:49 PM
    It sounds like you're doing everything you should be doing. I really like my recliners. I have high backed ones so they support my neck and it just feels good to recline a little and take a little pressure off.

My right foot is basically numb and sometimes it goes up the calf a bit. It does feel weird because it doesn't feel normal.

We went on vacation recently and my husband took long swims in the ocean. He is able to do all the stuff around the house that needs to be done. He does the yard work, etc. He has never been a runner.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.