Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 week follow up

Hi all, just ot back from neuro and he said everything looks good and it's probably the muscles that are causing pain. I got copy of X-ray report and it says "Grade 1 retrolisthesis of C4 on C5 of approx 2 mm. My fusion was C5-6. I did a little research and this can cause pressing on nerves, I wonder if that is causing my pain and discomfort. The neurosurgeon didn't say anything about it and I read that an MRI is needed to see the soft tissue. I am to start PT as soon as I get appt. On a good note only two weeks until we go to Disney World, it is cheaper to fly my family of four 1000 miles to Disney, stay at a resort with free dining, park hopper tickets, transport to and from Orlando airport to Disney then it is just to rent a house at the shore 60 miles away. Joe
ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.

• So happy that your report looks good Joe. Hope those muscles calm down for you and have fun on your vacation with your family!
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• I hope you are able to get some relief. It's good you've got some info. Any suggestions from the neuro to help your pain?

I hope you have a wonderful time at Disney World. If you start pushing it too hard, remember that they have wheel chairs available. I've had to use one before, and the kids enjoyed it because sometimes I would walk and push them or they would push me (and sometimes you could go in a shorter line). There are lots of things to do besides going on rides, and many rides that are ok with people with back problems. If you want any suggestions, just pm me. Have a great time.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • JoydancerJJoydancer Posts: 463
    edited 08/20/2012 - 7:54 PM
    Glad your neuro is saying things look good !

Re: Pain - Muscles I had issues with pain for 6-8 months in my C-Spine & T-Spine with my ACDF C-3-6, but I do have scoliosis curvature issues and know it took my C-Spine to adapt (C-1/2 malformed fused causing curve where C-3/4 formed

The muscle pain subsided though even with the above as I went into about 1 yr post op.

Hey, Joe that sounds absolutely great about you doing a Disney W vacay for your family ! Yes Florida is very welcoming for ya to come (and me too - - live about 60 mi north of Orlando) Glad you got some good prices for the fam to do the trip :) Hear that's been happening with the economy and giving some good prices

Weather-wise - - we're getting some tropical fronts that come thru giving us deluges of rain (we're in middle of h-season), but you there can be some breaks and ya just get out those rain poncho's and do indoor stuff when it's heavy stuff :)

We've had tropical storms with fronts moving across Florida Gulf to Atlantic and affecting heavy rain at times in Central FL with the churning and brewing of tropical storm movement up from out in Atlantic / Caribbean. We do get some breaks from it though. Hopefully it won't be that way when you come
    Disney World is great fun - - rain or shine !! :)

• Joe241JJoe241 Posts: 185
    edited 08/20/2012 - 8:15 PM
    Hi Joy my brother lives in Clermont, west of Orlando in fact he his getting married September 29th and I will fly there, his first wife died of cancer in 2003. Joe
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.
  • Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
    edited 08/22/2012 - 4:27 AM
    Glad to hear that your neuro said things look good! You are still fresh out of surgery, so don't get too worried about other possible issues for now and let yourself heal. Pain can be brought on by many things: stress, overdoing it, diet or viral/bacterial infections. I had a flare when I had bronchitis.

I know all about summer vacations at the shore! It's awfully expensive living in NJ. I guess it's the proximity to NYC. Enjoy your trip to Disney World and take KarenD's advice about those rides. Hope you continue to heal and your pain diminishes!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 08/22/2012 - 4:14 AM
    Joe, that is such a great report. PT startng soon wow the time has passed by quickly :)
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Just wanted to pop in and see how you're doing? How has your recovery been this far for you?

I am just past 5 weeks and I always feel like I have a very stiff neck that never goes away. Do you have that feeling this far out? And is your sleep still interrupted too? I swear it takes me hours to fall asleep.

Anyway I was just checking in. Hope today has some pain free moments buddy.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family as you continue to heal my friend.

Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• It's good to hear that your surgery went to plan and that things are moving forward.
    My surgeon has warned me that I will have very stiff achy muscles for a while after an ACDF.
    I suppose that is what you and Missy are experiencing.

I hope you have a fantastic time at Disney World with your family. It will feel wonderful to be getting back to having fun again.
    Take care.

• Hi Joe, I had ACDF C2/3/4 in September 2010 and am still suffering from neck muscle pain also my swallowing of food has never got back to normal again. I also had PLIF L4/5/S1 plus major rebuild in December 2008 and substantial scar tissue is now causing me pain in my left knee/leg/foot. They have been giving me a Caudal Lumbar Epidural Injection every 3/4 months which helps take away a lot of the pain. In December 2011 I had a Posterior operation plus Facet Joint Plating to C5/6/7 which I am slowly recovering from. In addition I have also had complete knee replacements to both knees in 2000 and 2006. Hope you have a lovely holiday with the family. Regards to you all from the UK.
  • I'm sure no one needs to tell you to stay off any rides that cause neck jerking, LOL

I'm supposed to visit my sister in California and was told by my NS to stay off of rollercoasters and other rides that jerk the neck and I am 8 months post op. So be careful. You're doing great now-don't do anything to mess it up.

Have fun!