Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Me again!

Well here I am on the spine-health forum again. Last time was for a lumbar fusion in September 2010. Now it seems time to have my neck fused. I have a triple PLIF in the last surgery. Now needing a neck fusion (2 disc). Doc seems to think that if you have had back surgery that the neck surgery will be alot easier that the lumbar fusion. My question is...for those of you that have had both neck and back fusions, is the neck really that much easier? Thanks

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    Everyone will have their own opinions on this....
    BUT for me,
    The cervical surgeries were so much easier than my lumbar surgeries. When I had lumbar problems, it took so long after surgery before I started to feel better. But, with the cervical surgery, I felt better as soon as the surgery was done

Of course so much depends on the degree of your surgery and how the post surgery treatments fair. I even felt that
    the physical therapy for my cervical surgery was easier.

This was my experience
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • TraciTTraci Posts: 92
    edited 08/21/2012 - 3:18 AM
    I needed that. Helps me mentally soo much.!

• I am still here too.
    I had my lumbar fusion in March 2010.
    Now I am facing a 2 level cervical fusion.
    I hope it will be easier and have read lots of people who have had both who say cervical is easier.
    When I asked my surgeon if cervical was easier to recover from than lumbar, he said not really! That is not what I wanted to hear. However, he did say that I would be more mobile than after my lumbar fusion but that I would have very sore muscles in the back of my neck and shoulders and a sore throat for a while.

Do you have a date for your surgery Traci?
    I haven't scheduled mine yet.
  • TraciTTraci Posts: 92
    edited 08/21/2012 - 1:27 PM
    I remember reading ALL your posts because I had my fusion in Sept2010. I have not set the date yet. Still talking with the surgeon and getting things approved. I am diabetic and my blood sugars are out of control. Have been trying to get them straight for about 6 months. Usually the surgery will not be approved unless I get this straightened out. My doc said that it will be a breeze compared to the fusion. The saga continues....Glad to talk to you again!
  • Nice to talk to you too Traci.
    I wish that neither of us needed to be here though.
    Do let us know when you schedule your surgery. I will do the same.
    Perhaps, if our timing is close, we can support each other through all of this.