Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please Advice - More Pain 4WK's After Post Up than prior

Hi All,

I'm sorry in advance for how long the below is but any help/guidance/advices would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping someone could shed some light on whats going on with me. I had my second micro disc about one month ago and I'm feeling worse than I have prior and shortly after the surgery.

A littler back story:
I had my first micro disc on my lower back about 4 years ago with perfect success. At that time I had a herniated disc and a bulging disc. The micro disc was so successful that I almost had not issues/pain after surgery.

Fast forward 4 years the bulging disc I had decided to go. I had little pain for the most part unless I did a lot of vigorous activities then I would need to take some gabapentin to calm things down and was good again until more activities such as mowing the lawn (have lots of hills).

I went back to my first micro disc surgeon and asked for advice. MRI did show herniation and after PT and medicine. I decided to ask for a second micro disc. The surgeon agreed as other treatments never worked for me in the past.

After the surgery everything seemed to be fine but I started to notice more and more pain in my legs (not shooting or radiating) just pain in my legs that alternated. At some point it would be on the left side and some on the right. I started PT on time hoping that this would help but nothing has worked. Only taking Gabapentin works for the pain. This pain is constant unlike prior to the surgery where it was only during hard activities. I read on the forums that this could be normal and my doctor and PT confirmed but should it be going from one leg to another? Doesn't that seem to mean that something in not right in there?

As the above not enough 2 days ago I woke up and could not MOVE the lower back pain was so horrible I had to call the doctor’s office which the answering service told me that I had to go to the ER. Knowing ER would just give me a whole bunch of pain Meds, I took a muscle relaxer, gabapentin and an anti-inflammatory I had and the pain finally calmed down to where I was able to go to PT the next day.

My fear is that the disc is now re-herniated as the above are the symptom I had when it was first herniated. My pain is pretty much back to what it was when it was moving from one leg to another but I feel a little more in my right leg at the same time. In other words, pain stays in the right leg slightly when the left leg is hurting.

I have a doc appt now set for later this week and hoping he could order another MRI to check what is going on. But in the meantime, has anyone had anything remotely happen to them like I have? If so, any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• kitndustkkitndust Posts: 31
    edited 08/21/2012 - 6:21 AM
    I had my micro Disectomy 8 weeks ago on L5/S1 and started having pain on my good leg in the back and buttock and was told that it was normal. At 6 weeks the good leg started to get better then I started a burning pain in my back and buttock on both sides. At 7 weeks I twisted in bed I think because I know I didn't get up the proper way and then I started really bad stinging pain in back and buttocks. I didn't have this before surgery and when I went for my 8 week check up the doctor didn't know what is wrong and said maybe scar tissue and I didn't show any signs of re-hernation according to the straight leg test. He won't do any MRI until after 12 weeks because it will only show a blob due to inflammation. He started me on Lyrica. It has been 4 days and I still feel the stinging but it's not as intense. I have also been going to PT. I go back to the doctor in 5 weeks. Maybe your nerves are "angry". I wish I could help you out more.
  • I will be at 6 weeks in September. Thanks to you I can at least expect the doctor to tell me that he wont schedule and MRI just yet. I'm staying hopeful but my body is telling me that the disc has herniated again. I hope this is me just freaking out since the first time i had the surgery i had almost no symptoms (which my doc told me was abnormal and the symptoms i have now are more the usual). I would prefer not to be on any medication but I understand if he puts me on something so I can continue PT.

Hope your recovery goes well and thank you so much for your help and input.
  • hlo11hhlo11 Posts: 3
    edited 08/28/2012 - 8:22 AM
    In the event someone is reading this...I went to the doc and he put me on a steroid pack and gave me some muscle relaxer and gabapentin. He also said to start with aqua therapy and stop regular physical therapy.

Have my first apt Thursday. Hopefully this will work...