Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Curious what your thought are

Challenging situation I would like to hear some advice from my fellow peers.

Situation is this:

I have been have back pain for several years. Have been in PM for the last three years. Bulging discs and Degeneration on four levels. Up until a month or so ago PM was getting me by. Until one day while after working out (cardio only) my back starting hurting bad and it was becoming hard to even walk. Tried to stop by my Chiropractor but he said I should go to the ER. Was able to get a recent MRI and doctor there said to go and see an Ortho Surgeon. Luckily I had some films from six years ago that showed the one area that any doctor who would not have had my films from before would have thought the area from where they thought my pain was coming from was acute. It wasn't. They said also that they did not see anything pinching the nerves and said that they thought I was not a surgical candidate. But I explained that something was terribly wrong. I have four discs that are in terrible shape and the doctor said he was against fusing all four at my age (37). So the next step was to do a bone scan and a discogram. The discogram revealed that two of the discs were bring me most of my pain, but that the other two were also causing some discomfort. So the doctor is saying hey look buddy, the success rate for the fusions is horrible. If we fuse the two now, it will not be long until the other two need to be fused. He is also worried about making my pain worse in the end. (I appreciate that)... So now he wants to pass the buck and send me over to a Neurosurgeon and see what he thinks. They team up on most all his spinal cases.

Well one of my challenges is that I am in such pain that I am willing to take the risk to see if they can reduce my pain level by half. I am unable to function very well and I am in bed if I am not at work. I take my fair share of pain meds and my pain doctor has stated that I am between a rock and a hard spot. Doctors are not wanting to do the surgery or have sounded very conservative at this point and the pain doctor is not making any real head way with my pain.

I did however have a discussion with my PM doc about a spinal cord stimulator. He said these were constructed for the main purposes of failed surgeries and that it might be a good idea.

Is fusion my best option when it comes to surgery? Could they remove the disc and I still be safe and pain free?

I do not feel masking my pain with something else would be a good idea. Between meds and this spinal cord contraption I would not know if I am really hurting myself I think?

What do you guys say?

Your opinions are much appreciated.

Thank you

• KevculesKKevcules Posts: 89
    edited 08/22/2012 - 4:22 PM
    Hi there

You're in a tough situation as was I. I think you're Doctor telling you fusion results are horrible is BS. Most surgeries I believe do relieve some ,if not all the pain, there are exceptions. My family doctor explained what they would have to do to operate and he was way off.He was so against surgery but was very eager to give me Oxy codone pills as much as I wanted?? It seems the two sections of our med system don't talk to each other.
    You have to do what you think is right. If you can't function , you have to try something.
    I was in that situation 5 weeks ago when I decided to have spinal fusion at L5- S1 after a discectomy 3 years ago and different degrees of pain for the last 7 years.. Though I want to badly say everything is fine, I can't. I have been in pain since the surgery. As of right now , I am worse off than before. All I keep hearing is that it takes a long time to heal......well I believe that ,but after 5 weeks I can't stand at the sink to brush my teeth without lifting one leg. I can't lay down in any position that is comfortable. Only walking doesn't bother me. This doesn't seem right to me but I talk to my surgeon in a week and start physical therapy soon after. I hope to God I am going to be OK. All I wanted to do was to be able to sit in a chair or stand in one spot with no pain.....so far no go.I'm 44 by the way..
    Good luck with whatever you choose.......

Different degrees of back pain since 1994
    Cortisone shots Jan/09
    Discectomy and lamenectomy April/09
    L5 - S1 spinal fusion July.13th/12