Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this fair

I was born with Conginital scoliosis It was not found untill age 14 , the doctor at childres hospital after studing the MRI and x rays and consulting with other Dr. in this field determined that the only treatment would be to monitor me every 6 months. At the Ri T2 & T3 levels the T2 was fused together with T1 & T2 but every thing was stable .The only limlits the Dr. put on me was no Tackle football. No changes occured all the way untill the age of 18, when I was discharged by the Dr. I have never had any problems , pain ,weakness or any other addverse affects do to this condition. 3 years ago I joined the United Staes ARMY to this day I m still inlisted in the ARMY reserves. I applied for a position as afire fighter and passed all test with flying colors. Upon the physical exam the Dr. noticed the curve in my back. with out any oyher test or research he declined me for the job. Has any one else had this happen to them and if so was there any recourse?
advertisement

Comments

• Dlubrano:

My walk thru life has some parallel to your's. When I was a younger man I was in the Army and so desperately wanted to become a Special Forces qualified soldier. Obviously, to do so I had to complete the training. To enter the qualification training program I had to be medically qualified. I was not. My spinal condition (on face value by a doctor) was a disqualifier.

I presented to the approving officials evidence of my physical performance and my desire to become SF qualified. They approved an exception for me. As it turned out, this was "short term" thinking on my part. My spine ultimately caused me to be physically incapable of completing the training. I was 35 years old. My thinking was "stuck" as if I was "still" 21 years old when I successfully completed both Airborne and Ranger school. My body had changed but my attitude/wants/needs/desires had not.

Fast forward. I am now 61. My spine is a mess. Last year I finally gave in and had a two level lumbar fusion. My surgeon told me that I had probably waited too long.

Life lesson - my advice to you and all others who are in the same situation, trust the medical prognosis and think long term. Yes, I proved to all of them when I was 35 that I could jump out of airplanes (centurion jumper) and run marathons; however, now I am 61 and I can barely walk around the block. Oh how I wish that I could do over some things in my life.

Jim
  • I have not done the things that you both have done,but i've been active my whole life. When i was a child i was fit,i was the fastest runner in my school and i played soccer for six years. I was asked my the travelling team in my town when i got old enough if i would play for them but by then my knees hurt so badly that i declined. I continued to be active,hiking whenever i could and jogging.I had always had stiff neck ever since i was very young i would wake up with my neck bent to the side and i would have to get my mother to massage it up straight for me. By the time i was 28the problems with my neck really started to hit strong. I was getting pains in my neck allot .In 2001 i woke up one morning and i was flat on my back and i couldn't move. It hurts so bad to try and roll onto my side and get out of bed that i layed there for almost four hours before i got up the courage to push through the pain and do it. So so stupid. I got up straight but i had pain everywhere throughout my body. I went to the doctors and he saw how stiff my neck was he ordered an x-ray and it showed a couple of disc herniations. I was sent for some physio and my symptoms got worse and worse and the therapist said to me you just have some herniations you shouldn't be having all these problems and encouraged me to go to a neurologist. Two years later i find out that i had severe stenosis in my neck with cord compression. I ended up with a three level fusion. My neuro. told me that the night that i woke and couldn't move the discs herniated and caused a trauma to my spinal cord and something similar to a stroke. Now i have dystonia because of that night. All of these events started happening when i was a child and only now can i look back and see this. Its too bad that we all can't look ahead at our lives and see how we will end up. Now when i go out of the house i have to walk with two canes. No more running for me.
  • hi,
    very sad to hear your stories of you people, but i have not faced any such problems, so cannot really say anything on this issue, just hope for the best