Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upcoming ACDF surgery

twindaddycarmsttwindaddycarms Posts: 1
edited 08/24/2012 - 10:48 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, everyone. My name's Carmelo. I'm 33 and am having ACDF surgery this upcoming Tuesday morning. A bit of my history: I have advanced myelomalacia (from a work-related accident in 1999) and was injured in an auto accident back in April. The whiplash caused my C6 disc to herniate and pierce the already-extremely-atrophied spinal cord. Basically, my doctors have questioned how I am still walking. Anyhow, I opted for the C5-to-C7 fusion, as it is the final option for me; my doctors have already told me that without the surgery, the damage will continue to progress and then it's eventual paraplegia. No thanks. I'll take my chances under the knife. EDITED

I don't normally join forums, but I feel like I need some solidarity from other people who have experienced the pain, the procedure, and the recovery. I don't know, maybe I'm here for some advice, tips, or maybe something else. I'm not afraid of the procedure, quite the contrary; I'm confident in my team and am looking forward to not having to deal with the constant pain from the time I wake up until my body just crashes from exhaustion. My pain hovers around a 6 or 7 all day everyday, and will spike on occasion to that level that makes you cry.

I was wearing a soft collar for about 8 weeks to keep the pressure of my head off my neck, until my surgeon gave me a hard collar last week. Big difference from the soft collar, but painful. Nice to meet everyone. Thanks for having this forum.

Post edited to remove name of medical professional and or facility. by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Carmelo, I just wanted to let you know I will be thinking about you and praying for you on your upcoming surgery day. My issues are mostly in lumbar and now thoracic with a little cervical thrown in...lol I am not familiar with cervical surgeries as mine have been lumbar lamenectomies-3 and thoracic micro discectomy-1. You should go to the August surgery post to let everyone there know about your surgery, where you will receive encouragement and a listening ear. There is also a post about what you may need before and after surgery, check them out.

hugs,
    kelli