Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Arm and hand numbness/pain-need help

Hi all,
It has been awhile since I've been on line here. I had my upper and lower back surgeries in 2010. The upper surgery stopped a numbness in my left hand and protected my spinal cord which was at risk. I had a titanium plate put in covering 3 vertabrae with 6 screws. In the last 3 months I have been experincing ever increasing numbness and pain, first in my feet and not to severe, Now it is in my feet and my laft arm and hand almost constantly and at times is very severe. As I said after my upper back surgery the original numbness had dissapeared and now it's back with a vengance.

I have continued to have pain in my lower back and leg pain with some numbness since surgery. I have been in pain management ever since and depression counseling and treatment. This ever increasing numbness, with ice pick like stabbing pains is new espcially as it pertains to my upper body which was free of numbess and pain until the last few months. It is also occuring in my right arm at times. Sleeping has become very difficult at least for long periods. I do have a new MRI of my upper spine scheduled in a week and a half.

My question is has anyone had this happen and any ideas or information would be appreciated. It is really getting to me, not helping my depression, and starting to think another surgery is in my future. It's hard to think about anything else as it's ever more present.

Your help on this is appreciated.

Al Signorelli

• JoydancerJJoydancer Posts: 463
    edited 08/25/2012 - 7:03 PM
    Was wondering how thinks were unfolding for you with the surgery resolving the left arm radiculoapthy/neuropathy. Sorry to hear that your symptoms were relieved for a short time, but experiencing them again and in addition to you leg.

I didnt check your history, but I think you had C-6/7 done? That is the area that is critical for me with my left arm neuropathy episodes and neuro damage from elbow down, taking out hand and fingers, ulnar small finger the worst.

Good that you have some good support with depression. Wondering what pain management is doing for you, meds, treatment.

Re: sharp burning (bar-b-q grill) burning episodes
    I was put on Neurontin (Gabapentin) and it sure helps curtail the pain recently. But only after the burning episodes took out the ulnar, median nerves.

Re: Post Surgery ?
    My issues are not with a recent post-surgery (had surgery C-3-6 in '95 bone implant fusion), past 4 yrs progression & mva injuries DDD C-6/7 T-1/ bone spurs & nerve root joints being compressed is what is my challenge now. Also my leg weakness primarly left also is C-Spine, but understand it is probably more spinal cord (neural foraminal space severe in some levels C-4 fused area down to T-1/2

So good to hear from you and check in with us. I took a sabatical a while ago, but had progressive problems with injuries and now right arm starting to be affected just got back to forum this past month.

Re: Sleep - I have had very good success with Seroquel (low dose) 50mg no side effects with low dose (can affect blood sugar levels on higher doses) & am very pleased sleep very well, even thru those horrible neuro symptoms episodes.

So hoping pain management can get a resolution for the severe pain you are experiencing.

p.s. Isaac is going to be churning up the coastline of Florida and heading your way - - haven't heard latest update, but this a.m. heard Tallahassee was in line for track to take a direct hit.

Hang in there, Al, and hope you keep comin back :)
  • So good to hear from you and thanks for the info. I know I haven't, pain etc.
    Pain management has me on percocet 50 mgs a day and gabapentin which as you said helps somewhat with the nerve pain. Just alarmed at the return of this with such force and now having tingling and numbness in upper spine where I thing the plate is. Honestly I can't even remeber right now which cervical discs where involved, I remember it was 3 in the c-spine and it was described as spinal cord was in jepordy of rendering me paralixed with a fairly minor injury before the surgery. Before the surgery it was my left arm and hand not this severe though, now it also includes shoulder, and that small section of the upper spine sort of isolated which makes me wonder if something moved, slipped or whatever. Of course this does not include the pain and numbness in the lower back, legs and feet. I also have been doing injections on the lower spine ever other month it seems to help the lower back some but is short lived. Now they are talking about doing something that burns the nerve which may help longer until it heals, not sure about that yet as I haven't done my research. I will be on much more now.
    I had all my surgeries listed on here but I guess they changed that for some reason. Hope you are well and glad to hear from you.

Thanks again,
    AL S
  • Seems kind of quiet on here now, not as many response as we use to get or maybe it's just me...
    AL S