Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions

justwonderingjjustwondering Posts: 1
edited 08/26/2012 - 8:05 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone, I'm new here, but certainly not new to the tribulations of scoliosis. I was diagnosed at age 14 by my family doctor in Ontario Canada with the condition, at age 16 I had the procedure to implant the harrington rods along my spine done. Today, I am 22, and without a family doctor, so I've come to your forum in hopes that maybe some of the questions that were left unanswered could be cleared up for me. See, before my diagnosis and the surgery I lived relatively care-free, today and more or less ever since the operation I suffer from alot of lower back / neck / hip and shoulder pain. At times, it's excruciating. In my opinion, the "corrective surgery" just made everything a whole lot worse. But overall, my biggest problem is dealing with the depression I've developed over the past couple of years, see, I never noticed I was any different from anybody else pre-op. To date, my right shoulder blade juts out and is very noticeable, I also believe it to be the cause of the pain I'm suffering, but the fact that my self-esteem has dropped so low is what's really bothering me. It's a very prominent disfigurement, my clothes don't fit, I can't sit straight up, and all in all I'm just a wreck. I'm just wondering whether or not anyone else here has experienced what I'm going through post-op, and what my options are. I've been told the harrington rods corrected the initial problem, but since then I've been x-rayed and I am now developing a slight case of scoliosis closer to the bottom of my spine. Is there anything that can be done about this? I had one doctor tell me that the fact my shoulderblade was so displaced was entirely cosmetic, and there was nothing that could really be done unless I wanted to seek out some form of plastic surgery. There MUST be something that can be done, its a real bother, and I am not in the position to pay for cosmetic surgery. Does anyone know what I can do? Thanks so much everyone!