Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD - Advice re:Surgery

I have been diagnosed with DDD since Jan 2011. I also had two disc prolapses L4-L5. For 5 months I was in chronic pain and limited mobility. This past year I listened to the doctors and walked,swam and done pilates. My back has improved greatly. However, I would still get the odd twinge everyday, sitting and walking can be painful. Sometimes I experience pain for all or parts of days. I also experience sciatica down left leg til ankle and it sometimes goes down my right leg.

I attended the hospital today for a check-up. He said I've come through the severe pain stage and things have eased off. He did mention surgery to remove disc, if pain worsens down legs and if I experience numbness. I have to go back in 6 months.

What do you guys think. I'm 29, married and currently husband and I are trying for a baby. I really want to avoid surgery. The surgeon said that my condition is a chronic one even though pain not as bad as it was. He also said the disc is very large.

• Then hold off, I cannot even imagine what giving birth would do to a repaired disc. If it gets bad see about some steroid injections.

Just in general, I did not consider surgery until there were no more options for me.

Good Luck!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • Thanks for your advice, unless I have to I will try and avoid surgery at all costs. Like you say if I were to get pregnant and had the op before all good work might be undone! Have you ever had injections?Are they really sore getting them? I can only imagine the pain.
  • For me the epidural steroid injections were easy breezy. I screwed up a little after the first one and went back to work the next day. I think it was a weds goin into a thursday. The weekend was ok but i tweaked my back and had a panic attack cuz I thought I screwed something up. But it was just me freakin out a bit & overdoin it. For the next 2 I had em on a weds and took long weekends.

But really they were easy, they give a local, so you dont feel the needles after that. The first one helped me for awhile, but the 2nd 2 not so much. Everyone is different for all of this. My father in law had one 25 yrs ago and hasnt had a problem since.

So if it gets a little rough an ESI is no biggie and who knows, it could help you dramatically.

Good Luck!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • Thanks so much for your honest reply,am not afraid of them anymore.