Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica and now getting numb hands

I have on going sciatica and waiting for surgery. In the
last 2 weeks I have had numb hands while sleeping and during the day doing various things. Has anybody else had this?

• Have you had your neck checked yet. Yes I did have that and at times. My arms felt very heavy too.
    The test came back bad for me but made a lot os sense as or what wasngoing on with me.
  • KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 09/09/2012 - 5:49 PM
    What tests have you had and for what "body parts"? It's possible to have both cervical as well as lumbar issues, so make sure your doctors know all your symptoms.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • oberlin_patientooberlin_patient Posts: 58
    edited 09/14/2012 - 10:36 PM
    I had that after going on Vicodin and Percocet. My doctor told me that this is not unusual if I take these types of drugs.
  • I experienced the same thing....I have herniated my L5/S1 nearly 4 years ago and in my 3rd year, I started to feel stiffness in my neck and also numbness in my fingers during my sleep. I found out it is because stiffness in your back muscles will slowly affect your neck. They are interconnected. Good to do some neck stretching gentle exercise and keep a good neck and back posture.
  • Yes I have had 2 failed back surgeries on L4 & L5 & I have a damaged Sciatica, I have severe pain from my back all the way don't my legs, I have tinkling & numbness in my hands & feet & sometimes my whole leg goes numb & I loose my balance & fall... I've tried different medications &none seem 2 help much with pain R numbness.. Be on Lyrica, MS cotton, Lortab 10 They worked best but still in a lot of pain. went 2 a pain management DR. who took me off the lortabs & put me on Butrans patches & they ant worth 2 cent.. I can't even tell it works at all.. they can't figure out nothing 4 the numbness & tinkling... I can handle that a lot better than the pain it is driving me in sane... They say another surgery is not an option, cuz there is a 95% chance of me being paralized, so I guess I'm stuck with the pain...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    I am a bit confused. I am not sure what you are trying to say in your post.
    It seemed to vary off what the initial thread was asking about
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com