Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

StarMan167SStarMan167 Posts: 4
edited 08/28/2012 - 9:23 AM in Pain Medications
I am a 55 year old male who suffers from sciatica due to a herniated L4-5.
I had a microdiscectomy but re-herniated the disk.
I do exercises daily recommended by this site for sciatica.

The doctor prescribed Naproxen 500mg or Ibuprofen 800mg. Neither touches the pain.
Any suggestions?

• sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 08/28/2012 - 9:34 AM
    Hi Starman,
    Welcome to SH! If the anti inflammatories aren't helping your pain, then it may be time to speak to your doctor about other options. How long ago was your surgery? What other treatments are you undergoing for the reherniation? Have you had any imaging studies done since your reherniation?
    Has the surgeon who did the microdiscectomy recommended any PT, or excercises to help ease the pain?
    Sciatica can disappear just as quickly as it appears and sometimes the best option is anti inflammatories and mild stretching and giving your body a little time to rest and recuperate. Unless the reherniation is large or compressing on the nerve roots, the surgeon may opt to do nothing further surgically right now...
    Have you discussed your ongoing pain with him? What other recommendations has he made? If he is not willing to continue to treat the pain ( many surgeon's won't treat pain after 3 months post op) , he can send you to a pain management practice if you find that you need something more than the current meds.
  • Sorry to hear you are having pain still..

Sandi gave some good suggestions...I will just add that you don't seem to be on any type of actual nerve pain medication. That is the main issue with the sciatic nerve.

So, I would suggest to your Dr. that going on Lyrica, Neurontin, or Cymbalta can be very effective.

With any new medication it takes about a month or so to work out the side effects.

And with the first two...you need to just be very careful about sodium and simple carbohydrate intake. As well as making sure you are getting proper amounts of water each day. Along with PT and an exercise program set up by your Dr...this can help keep any possible weight gain from happening on those meds.

Good luck..