Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Blood pooling on nerve after surgery

I hope someone here can shine a little light on what is going on with me. A couple of weeks ago I had the typical L5/S1 Stenosis from a hemrogered disk. God, was it painful. After the surgery, I went home everything normal. Not fun but text book. The next day the pain was coming back. My thighs felt like they were being ripped from the bone. A ER visit and a MRI later, I was told that blood was pooling on the nerve. I was doped up and prepared for surgery the next day.
This is where it gets strange. The surgeon ordered a myelogram and CT scan. I had nothing to eat,drink or IV for more than 30 hours and the pain meds were long gone. The Dr. started the myelogram and I could not stay on the table long enough to get much of the fluid in my spinal cord. The pain was unbelievable and I was taken back to my room where my wife was waiting. This was around 10am, at 2pm the surgeon came in and told me it would be soon and ordered 2mg morphine for my pain. I might as well be shooting an elephant with a spit wad. At 6pm I was taken to surgery.
I know it's a long story and I'm back home after a few more days in the hospital. I have the cold feet and shaky legs symptoms that I see other people get after the surgery, my question is because of the amount of time the nerve was pinched, is my chances of permanent damage much higher?
Because of my anger at the surgeon and the micro-spinal mill for leaving me in that condition for hours, I can't look at him without wanting to deck him with my walker.
Thank you for reading my rant/question.
Ernest Johnson
advertisement

Comments

• David FloraDDavid Flora Posts: 10
    edited 10/09/2012 - 6:22 PM
    The purpose of hand surgery is the treatment of a broad range of problems that affect the hand, whether they result from cuts, burns, crushing injuries to the hand, or disease processes. Hand surgery includes procedures that treat traumatic injuries of the hands, including closed-fist injuries; congenital deformities; repetitive stress injuries; deformities caused by arthritis and similar disorders affecting the joints; nail proble
    Read more: Hand Surgery - procedure, recovery, blood, removal, pain, complications, adults, time, infection, operation,
    david flora
  • i can feel for u i had spinal fusion march 2011 in theatre for 6 hours ... and when i came out of surgery i could not move my legs or feel them ... 2 hours laster MRI showed i had blood clots on my nerves so back down to theatre for another 3 hours ... my surgeon said i might not get feeling back my right leg is ok but no feeling in my left ...said looks like it will never come back now ... now it feels heavy n a tired leg i have more pain and getting concerned ..
    I hope you are recovering well and stay positive as much as you can
  • What are you symptoms now? Do you still have pain, numbness, tingling, burning sensations?

Some background info. Spinal nerves in the lower back are quite resilient. They can regenerate and even regrow. Regeneration is painfully but it is a growing healing pain, a pain that indicates something good is happening. Nerves regrow at a rate of 1mm per day (1/25th of inch). So to grow from spine to foot could take a couple of years.