Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here and I have a question! Please Help!

Hello everyone!
For past year and a half I have been battling with chronic pain which was caused by a car accident, and for past 6 months I have been finding out little by little what is wrong with me. One Dr would tell me I have arthritis and he also said pain is due to my age! I am only 36! Another Dr told me I have DDD and 4 bulging discs, he didn't say exactly where, I only know there is 2 in my neck and 2 in my back and I also lack a natural curve in my neck. It basically goes at a straight angle and then curves just a little bit towards my skull. Symptoms I have are numerous but the main ones are tingling down my right arm, stabbing, burning, shooting and tightening pain in my neck, shoulders, and mid to upper back.

I was on Vicodin and Cyclobenzaprine but over time I think my body got too used to them and the Cyclo. didnt work so I stopped taking those and am now on Tramadol and Ibuprofen which works pretty well except when I have the "bad pain days".
I have tried several treatment options which include acupuncture, which caused pain and tingling in my mid back, two different PT clinics, test injections to see if a Rhizotomy would work, my Med Dr advised me to not go on with the Rhizotomy, epidural which almost didnt happen due to the Dr barely able to get needle through my vertabrae in my neck, hot pads, cold packs, topical ointments, and TENS unit. None of it worked, only time I felt pain free was when I was injected with novacaine before the injections.

I have seen numerous Drs but none of them have referred me to a Neuro and I had to fight for a year to get an MRI. I have an appointment with my Medical Dr next Friday so I will get referral to see a Neuro and I want another MRI.
I do have 2 questions and I hope someone could answer. On a MRI what do white spots on vertabrae mean? Orthaepedic Surgeon said it wasn't anything to worry about but it does worry me. Second question is, is there a name for the neck lacking curvature? I tried to look up information online but I didn't have much luck.

advertisement

Comments

• Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
    edited 08/29/2012 - 1:25 AM
    I can not comment on the white spots on your MRI, but I can tell you the straightening of the curvature of the neck is referred to as a "military neck". Do a search on that and you should find more information.

Does heat help? The straightening of the neck is due to chronic tight neck muscles. I would try to avoid surgery if you do not have any herniated discs or spinal stenosis. Surgery can come with complications and sometimes cause more pain afterwards. Stretching, yoga, meditation can help. Stress can exacerbate the issues. I wish you much luck!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 08/29/2012 - 2:21 AM

I can't comment on the white spots on your vertebrae either.
    As for the straightening of your neck, I also have that due to degenerative changes. Mine has been called 'loss of lordosis', which you could do a search on too. I believe that it can cause the degeneration to speed up because the loading on the vertebrae is not optimal. They are designed to be curved, so when the curve is lost, strain is put in other areas.

I would take a list of your questions with you to your appointment next Friday. If you don't understand the answer that you are given, make some notes on what they say and you can research once you are home to find out what they were talking about. You probably still won't completely understand, but you will some idea.

Do let us know how you get on and ask any other questions you may have. We are not medical people, but we have lots of experience!
  • Thanks for the help! Much appreciated. I had to go to ER today due to severe twitching and jerking that has gotten worse past couple days, scared me! They referred me to a Neuro so I plan on calling to get in soon.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 08/31/2012 - 1:22 AM
    I am sorry that you ended up in ER yesterday.
    Hopefully now your neuro will really listen and test to find out exactly what is going on. Then they will be able to formulate a plan to help you.

Where about was your twitching and jerking?
    Please do let us know how you get on and ask any other questions that you may have.

advertisement