Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery and pain dr's

hello everyone
i have not been her for a while. i had what was called a lateral fusion where they corrected a defect in my l3 vertabrae. it was dislocated so they had to fuse it by going in the side. well weird. i usually have gotten along with my pain dr but when i told him i was having surgery, he freaked.. he looked at my scripts for 4 years, gave me a urine test and gave me a bad time. he did the same when i saw him after surgery. well i went back after 2 months and what do you know, he treated me like the person he used to. very polite, did not chew me out, did not look at past scripts etc. i have no idea what happened and why he changed his mind. and this month the same. i guess he got his panties in a bunch, my wife thinks he was upset for my having surgery and he had to share me with another doctor
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• My guess would be that because of your surgery....your surgeon, and your insurance company and possibly the state and/or DEA takes a fresh look at someone's history pain and their medication use...especially with any opiates. So he probably wanted to get things in order to show that you are being monitored properly by him with your medications and that you are a compliant patient.

My state of VA started last year requiring all those on opiates to have an annual urine test. I've been seeing my PM since 2006. For others he has always been doing these tests and still does more random ones for patients that are new or he may question. But for me they actually ask me on a visit (I only go every 3 months to see him) when I want to do my test...LOL...As well as I do not have insurance right now and the lab he uses is one of the best in the country in CA....they do the GC/MS analysis which is very expensive but also 99.9% accurate which is good as the typical "dip stick" test can be very unreliable. So he has been "writing off" my test each year so I don't pay a dime.

Anyway...it could be that your state has changed their rules...or my original thought that he was just having everything in place to show the surgeon and insurance company...

You can certainly ask him next visit if you are curious:)

This discussion has been closed.