Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

More surgery - very scared

CherylCCCherylC Posts: 185
edited 08/30/2012 - 2:13 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So blown away at the moment. NS has just told me that TLIF done in November last year on L4/L5 has failed and that I now it looks like I will need a 360 to do a double fusion (refuse L4/L5 and fuse L5/S1). Had such a bad time last time because I am hyper sensitive to opiates so pain levels were through the roof and this next one is going to be so much worse.

Can anyone tell me whether there are alternatives to using opiates for the pain? Also - how long before I will be up and about again? I've already been off work for 9 months due to complications with the TLIF.

• DNiceDDNice Posts: 1,962
    edited 08/30/2012 - 3:57 PM
    Hey there...not sure I can help answer your questions but wanted to tell you good luck.
    Have you gotten a 2nd opinion? I would. Any doctor worth using will absolutely welcome a 2nd opinion. As my initial surgeon said "Yes, I'm human so please get a 2nd opinion". He also told me to let him know if they differed in the opinion and supported me when I opted to get an opinion from e-cleveland clinic (remote opinion).

I think there are alternatives to Opiates.
    I found this article on the types of opiates which may make a difference (hopefully I can post)

Talk to your doctor about your concern on the medication. Good luck.

• I too am having my very first spinal surgery. It is a 360 also. From what i understand and have read on these boards, its gonna be a biggie!!!!! and a very long recovery. I am told it will take up to 12 months to have a complete fusion. That is if you have no complications. My 360 is Sept 17th, so it is coming up pretty quick. My husband will be caring for me. So pray for me, lol.
    You will not bounce back fast from this type surgery. My spinal surgeon says it is a massive surgery, 4-5 hours under anesthesia. and inpatient for 3 to 5 days, if no complications.
    Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing. I dont know anything about the opiates. But just know you will have a long recovery.
  • Get one...first NS botched my L5S1 and didn't do enough diagnostic testing. After being in pain 9 months post and told i was nuts and i was fused i found a new NS.

He showed me is seconds on my films how I was NOT fused, and said he would not work on me without a discogram first.

Discogram showed another failure and a third. Third is what was casing my burning neuropathy in my right leg, Third was also white on an MRI. Two many relying on MRI's vs real diag workups.

Just went through a dbl surgery (first to remove discs (DLIF)) and PLIF to redo all hardware and revise failed one.

I feel now ~4 weeks later like I did months after the first one. The new NS is great an knows his stuff.

Night and day experiences...

A 2nd is a must!!! and a 3rd and 4th are not unheard of. My 2nd was in the same shop. Met new NS on third at another shop :-)

Talk to the multis and the revision people on here...much to learn.

My NS may have just gave me my life back :-)
    Jun 2011 -TLIF @L5-S1
    Mar 2012 -NonUnion @L5S1
    May 2012 -Multi Level Discography
    July 2012 -XLIF 2Cages @L3L4/L4L5
    Aug 2012 -All New Hardware @L34L45/L4L5/L5S1
    Mar 2013 -FBSS = Pain Management until they figure it out.