Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi to all my friends Act 2

Sorry I haven't posted lately last Sunday started at 6 am with dad calling, went over and called 911 because dads heart rate was up. He gets himself a little anxious and with his breathing issues and mom dying two months ago, he is in and out of the hospital. Thursday morning started with a call from dads doctor at the hospital saying they were putting a CPAP machine on him to try and get his breathing under control and were putting him in CCU to monitor him. After this call I texted my siblings with the news and also said it was deja vu, I felt the same way when I received call about my mom needing an operation early on a Sunday morning. Thursday night I received another call from dads nurse ( after 10 pm) saying they are not sure but are testing him for a stroke, but did not think he suffered one, possibly a TIA ( mini stroke). This morning my brother texted from the hospital that they found no signs of a stroke and will send him home after breathing is under control. I went to visit him and he is in the room next to where mom died, he is medicated to help him relax and breath better. He woke up while I was there and could not undertand what he was trying to say so I got his nurse whom said the same thing and they also gave him paper and pencil but all he could do was scribble. I finally figured out what he was trying to say, with tears in his eyes he was trying to say " take care of everybody". I leave for vacation on Sunday and am on an emotional roller coaster, as I did not sleep well last night. Dads birthday is Monday September 4th and anniversary would have been September 6th, first one without mom who died June 4th twenty five days before her birthday. Joe
ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.

• Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
    edited 08/31/2012 - 3:03 PM
    My friend, life deals us random cards and we just have to take them as they come. It must be so difficult for you to leave for vacation after what had happened with your dad. Do you know what's the cause of your father's breathing issues? Air quality in the house can be an issue. As you might remember that I recently had a bad case of bronchitis. One of my daughters became very sick fighting a fever for almost a week. I knew that something was causing this, so I became a detective in my own home trying to locate the source of my respiratory problems. We were only sick when we spent the whole day at home. Turns out our ground floor mini-split ductless ACs were 18 years old (we have been here for less than 5 years) and encrusted with mold. We had to get them changed immediately. Yesterday we replaced them and my breathing has gotten better and I hope that my daughter's allergies will also improve. By drying the air, my pain has also improved. The humidity is a killer for us spineys. I hope your dad and you can find a way to get through this and the recent loss of your mom. My thoughts are with you and your family. Please do try to enjoy your vacation with your family. All of you deserve a vacation! Hugs!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Joe241JJoe241 Posts: 185
    edited 09/01/2012 - 5:51 AM
    Received another call this morning dad is intubated and in 48 hrs they will take him off of the ventilator to see if he can breathe on his own. If he can't the doctor will put him back on until we can all get there, we will be in Disney World and my brother lives near Orlando. I'll post when I return. God Bless, Joe
  • So sorry all this is happening to you, especially when you have plans to go out of state. How is your neck pain?

Take care Joe!
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Oh, Im sorry to hear about your dad Joe. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. How have you been feeling this far into your recovery? I left you another message on my own thread too.

Take care my friend.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 09/02/2012 - 2:44 AM
    for you and your Dad Joe.

You have so much to cope with at the moment, whilel you are still getting over the loss of your Mum.

I hope that you will have peace that your Dad is being well cared for until you get back from Disney World.
    Take care, and God bless you all
  • I am sorry to hear about your Dad....What a terrible turn of events after your Mom passing away. I'm sure your Dad, as well as the family, is suffering so much emotionally which is adding to these health issues. I will pray that he can start breathing on his own again soon.

Travel safely and keep us posted...

Hugs...(( ))

• KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 09/03/2012 - 1:26 PM
    Sometimes it just seems like too much to deal with. My prayers are with you and your family that you all will heal. It's good you have family to support each other.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • May God wrap you in his loving arms and give you peace. Praying for you, your father and your family.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Hi all and thank you for the kind words, they took dad off of the ventilator on Monday morning and when my brothers and sister asked dad if he wanted us there and he nodded. Dad couldn't talk he just nodded so the doctor said he would put the tube back in and sedate him until we get there. My brother John called and said you need to get here and Tim was calling Larry who lives a half hour from Orlando. Larry got us on a flight which left at 9 pm and I got home around midnight, and we all were at the hospital by 12 noon so the doctor gave dad a drug to wake him up and take the tube out. After the tube was out about ten minutes later dad woke up and started to talk to everyone, the three day he was on the ventilator they took a lot of fluid out of his lungs and had "coffee grinds" coming out of his drainage tube. After about one hour dad started struggling really bad so they put him on morphine drip and he looked terrible and he kept saying it wouldn't be long. As time went on he started talking more and his vitals looked good. We all were shocked because dad had been on ventilator for three days because he could not breath on his own that he was talking to us. After standing by the bed for six hours and dad saying how long does it take to die it was emotionally very tough. After some of us ate and went back up dad was asleep, the nurse gave him more morphine to help him rest. My sister said the doctor said he would not make it but it could be days before he died. While at the hospital a tornado warning was announced so everyone had to move away from the windows. Since I just started my vacation and seeing and talking to dad today I decided to fly back to Disney to be with my kids, who knows dad could be alive on Sunday. I got back to Disney around 130am the flight was delayed because a ground member at the airport saw parts of a bird on the engine cowling they had to do an engine test to make sure turbines and everything else was okay. In three days I have flown 3000 miles on three different flights. It's now almost three am got to try and get some sleep, need to be up in four hours to make our charachter breakfast reservations. God Bless, Joe
  • Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
    edited 09/05/2012 - 2:21 AM
    Joe, you are a good father and son. It's tough for me not to be emotional reading your post. I pray you will get through all of this without making your own pain worse. My thoughts are always with you my friend. Be well and stay well.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
    edited 09/05/2012 - 6:03 AM
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. You are being there for your Dad and also for your kids. All this while still morning the loss of your mother and dealing with your own medical recovery.
    Thinking of you.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
    edited 09/05/2012 - 6:36 AM
    thoughts are with you and your family, no words really appropriate for what you are going through so i just send my love out.
    tina ann
  • welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
    edited 09/05/2012 - 6:38 AM
    thoughts are with you and your family, no words really appropriate for what you are going through so i just send my love out.
    tina ann
  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 09/05/2012 - 2:47 PM
    I understand some of what you're going through, but it's all your and your family's at this point. I'm wishing you the very best and praying for you, your dad and family. You're a great son and father...hang in there. Hugs to you all, especially you.

My mother left us the day before her and my father's anniversary, we believed she wanted to be with him. I hope your father has the will to make it through, but if not, meets your mom in heaven. God will help decide and hopefully give you and your family strength. Please keep us posted.