Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C4/5 C6/7 I am a Singer too

I Just had my surgery on 08/28/12 exactly 4 days ago; like a lot of people in this forum I was also nervous and afraid but thank to this forum and a person that I knew who did the same surgery than me; I got very confident. so I want to share my experiences with some of you that will have the same type of surgery and some of you who already had it. Today is my 4 days post surgery and I feel so great that I am surprise. I was taken out from the operating room at 4.00 pm by 6.00 pm I was taking to my room about 7.00 pm I ate all my dinner, rice, chicken,vegetables, apple juice. the next day my throat hurt ed and my chest. and I had a low fever. but I started taking anti- inflammatory medicine 2 or 3 tablets a day and all those symptoms started to dissapear, today 4 days after I feel so great, Iam a singer and started to tune a song and my voice is still there. but not perfect I am confident that it will be like before. be positive and if you need to do it go for it.
advertisement

Comments

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 09/01/2012 - 10:51 AM
    It is certainly reassuring to read how well you are doing and that you still have your singing voice.

Are you able to wash and dry your hair yourself?

It does sound like you are doing really well. Keep up the good healing!

Has your surgeon given the ok to you using anti-inflamatory medicine? Some surgeons specifically tell their patients not to use it as it can delay fusion taking place.

• Jellyhall, I just washed my hair and I took a bath, you have to understand fusion takes about six months. I had inflammatory medicine for 4 days only; I do not have to take anymore because I feel very well close to normal; so 4 days of inflammatory will not hurt.
  • Nino

That is great. You seem to be having a similar recovery to myself. I read so many "horror" stories of how bad it was trying to recover yet I am in very limited pain. So I am in the same boat as you (sept I can't carry a note to save my life lol).

Jellyhall just keep in mind you will not be allowed to shower for 4 to 5 days after the surgery. Least that is what they made me do. It was rough sitting around just wanting to take a shower and get clean and not being able to lol.
    edited 09/02/2012 - 7:30 AM
    Did you have stitches / staples / glue?

With my lumbar fusion I had staples and could shower after a couple of days, but had to have a new dressing put on afterwards that was dry. Then when I was home, we covered up the dressing with a plastic bag taped over it. However, we did get the dressing wet and had to go back to the hospital to get it changed. Unfortuantely, because I got an injection, I had to keep the dressing on for 6 weeks. There was no way I could wait that long to shower!! While I had the infection, a district nurse came and cleaned and changed the dressing each day. We were then given some dressings to change them ourselves.
    edited 09/02/2012 - 5:18 AM
    It sounds like you are well under way with your recovery and that it has achieved what the surgeon planned to do.
    That is fantastic. Now it is over to you for the healing stage.

Doesn't it feel great to take a bath / shower?

Take care,
  • Great to hear that you are doing so well...

I am quite shocked that you were allowed to take anti-inflammatories...My Neuro, and all the other ones I have seen for my surgeries all repeated numerous times, as well as the aftercare instructions had in BOLD letters....Do Not take any anti inflammatory medication for 4-6 months after surgery. Even a few days of taking it...especially right afterwards....can cause bleeding and interfere with the bone healing...

So it's just surprising that they allowed this. Why did you take them? As in...why didn't they give you something like Percocet, Vicodin, or even Tylenol if you didn't require opiates? Acetaminophen is for fever...not ibuprophen...So I am curious if you could share a bit more...

I also wasn't allowed to shower for about 4 days....it was 6 for my last surgery as that was anterior and posterior in the same surgery. And yes...I just took off the dressing to shower and put on new ones afterwards.

I had both interior and exterior stiches/staples....the exterior ones needed removal at my follow up appt. and the interior ones dissolved.

There are thousands and thousands of people who do wonderfully after these types of surgeries and go on to have little or no pain. The reason it "seems" that this percentage is so low...is this being a board that also has chronic pain patients and many of the 15% that has had complications, or other health issues...

So...that is why people have to take what they read online (anywhere) with a grain of salt. Studies show that pretty much with anything...from surgeries, to buying a new car or tv....you will get about 92% more negative reviews online than positive...Most people who are really happy with outcomes do not go online to talk about it...

But this is a great board to at least be prepared about what "could" happen....but always expect the best...go at it with a positive attitude....and we are all here to share and empathize and encourage:)
  • ninonnino Posts: 9
    edited 09/02/2012 - 1:02 PM
    I realized that all surgeons advised in different way, I had my surgery the Tuesday the 28th and my surgeon told me to take shower on Friday 31st; 3 days post-surgery not before but I did it on Saturday 01; I did take a bath the next day of my surgery but without getting wet my wound because I can not sleep without cleaning myself. to Lovetrotravel the same day of my surgery I was prescribed percocet but this medicine is only for pain it is Tylenol w/ codeine very strong for pain; but I did not take one pill because I did not need it; I had no pain at all. I read about what you said regarding the inflammatory medicine that was in google when I was trying to find all the information that I could about the fusion, and I read inflammatory with steroid is not good after surgery do not take it. the one that I took has 0 steroid. so far 5 days post surgery I feel so great, I went to the mall today my doctor advised me to walk as much as I can. if you read in this forum or other forum you will find that most of the people suffer a lot post surgery, I have seen people 2 months post-surgery and still with some kind of problems.that's why i did not want to do it but I prayed a lot and god did his work. god bless everybody in this forum and feel better.
    edited 09/02/2012 - 9:19 PM

I think different surgeons have different levels of concerns about using anti-inflamatories.
    I was given diclophenac while I was still in hospital. I asked my surgeon about it, and he said that he felt it would be fine to use it initially to get the inflamation from the surgery down. I stopped taking it as soon as I could, but that was my decision from things I had read.

Nino, I prayed a lot too before my lumbar fusion and my recovery went very well.
    I hope that He will help me again with an ACDF!

Keep up the good healing!
  • LovetrotravelLLovetrotravel Posts: 296
    edited 09/03/2012 - 5:18 AM
    I certainly agree that we should all follow our own Drs. post surgery instructions...

I was just surprised in hearing this as after 3 fusions with 3 different Drs..I had never heard that the NSAIDs are ok...

And just FYI to Nino or those who are new to some medications...Percocet is Oxycodone and acetaminophen...It does not contain codeine. Tylenol 3 is acetaminophen and codeine.

That is great that your pain was so low that you didn't require an opiate for pain relief!.

I got the months incorrect as I couldn't remember...but the below info is a direct excerpt from the post fusion instructions I got for my surgeries....

It definitely includes the Flector patches or any type of NSAID....

But I'm glad that you all did well and didn't have any issues with taking them yourselves:) I hope you continue to heal and do wonderfully Nino!

Anti-inflammatories-
    DO NOT TAKE antiinflammatories
    (NSAIDs) such as Advil, Motrin,
    Ibuprofen, Aleve, Voltaren, Dicoflenac, aspirin (unless
    directed by your surgeon or cardiologist), for 3 months
    after any fusion operation. This is because antiinflammatories
    can interfere with the fusion process and can promote bleeding.
  • ninonnino Posts: 9
    edited 09/03/2012 - 7:38 AM
    is a good thing that we have this forum because we learn new things from everybody; I just investigated about inflammatory medicine after surgery. there are a lot of information online; all medicine has side effect some people get it and others not because everybody is different; I just read short use of inflammatory medicine do not affect healing process do not cause bleeding; some people takes medicine for a long period of time. I took diclofenac for 3 days only because I did not need it anymore. when I was discharged from the hosp it was a bad day for me with sore throat, low fever and some type of chest pain but all of these was due to the tube that was inserted in my throat while having surgery, you trachea is move aside so that they have space to go to the disc. all you nerves get inflamed. My prayer go to all of you who are healing and for those who are still waiting to have some type of surgery.
  • Yes...these boards are great for information as well as for all the wonderful support we give one another.

And I completely agree that it's all up someone's Dr. to handle the surgery/recovery in the best way for the patient.

My last Neuro was probably being so stringent as my first two fusions failed...

The only upside to having the sore throat from the surgery and regaining strength again is not feeling guilty about having yummy milkshakes to soothe the pain...lol..

I will also keep praying for your recovery going so well and to those who are about to have surgery.

Hugs (( ))
advertisement