Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sharp Pain in Neck 4 years post C4-6 ACDF???

Hi All,

I had my cervical fusion in 2008 and all in all I've been pretty good... few kinks from time to time, but nothing worth complaining to my doctor about. I still need the odd pain killer if i've been bent over paperwork too long but thats about it. So, why I am I back here?? Well, in the last month I've noticed that when I do certain movements involving my neck, its as if it catches on something sharp. It feels like a structural pain... not muscular, not from how i sat or slept, etc... it feels as if its "in" my cervical area. The pain is quite sharp and stabbing around the C3 or C4 area (feels like its at the top of my fusion). When the pain hits, I kind of reposition myself and the pain goes... but its "there"... once it catches like that, I have to sit carefully and mind my neck to avoid it catching again....like now... i've been perched up all day with my favourite neck cushion (warmed up :-)) because if i move too quickly or suddenly it "catches" again and again... and that sharp pain is a killer. I don't have any radiculopathy symptoms in my arms/hands etc... Sooooooooo what I'm wondering is.... has anyone else had these sensations post-op? Any idea what MIGHT be causing it? and is it worth spending the €250 to go see the consultant..... any and all thoughts are most welcome!!!!
Thanks everyone!!
Diamonde x

L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD

• tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
    edited 09/02/2012 - 5:16 AM
    Sense it has been so long sense your fusion and this is a new pain, I think it is worth the time to see the doctor. Possible you could see your primary care doctor and they order some x-rays. If you could get a hold of your images post surgery would be great so they have something to compare to. It could be your hardware or something of that nature. Of course there is the condition called adjacent disc disease, but only a doctor is going to be able to make the diagnoses.

Also keep in mind, because your neck warranted surgery the last time, if they catch it in time conservative type treatments could be the remedy. Good luck and glad to hear the first surgery did so well for you. Keep us posted.