Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

25 Yr old with back problems

Hi I'm Matt. I've had ongoing back issues starting about 3-4 years ago. I've tried on and off various techniques to try and deal with my back pain and strengthen my back for the better, but I constantly have issues with it still and I wonder if I'm just missing something.

As part of my attempts to alleviate the back issues I started going to gym a few years ago. I went to classes like circuits and boxing to try and strengthen my core and generally improve my muscle build (which I've read will better support the spine). I drastically fixed my posture (which admittedly now I've slightly gone back to old habits) and I saw chiro's, physios etc. I had an xray/ct-scan at one point some years ago and only a minor bulge in the lower back was revealed, something that is not necessarily unusual.

Anyway, I still have issues with my lower back, but last week I strained something in my upper back while running (I try to maintain really good posture while running, sometimes I wonder if I'm 'too' straight and rigid). I know life is unfair and some people just have better spines than others, but I take protein shakes at least daily (with milk). I eat plenty of vegetables. I can run a half marathon. I can do 45 full pushups in one go, I do gym weights regularly including back ones, I can do a stabelizer for 2 minutes. And I have a full range of motion in my back (not painless though of course). I wake up every morning extremely stiff and I can't sit for more than 20 minutes without having to shift.

So, I know this is a just a huge whine and I apologize, but I'm wondering if somebody can recommend something else for me? I've tried stretching routines (don't bother with a lot of it anymore, didnt help much). Maybe my body is low in a supplement? Maybe I'm activating the wrong muscles 'automatically' when I do anything with my back? It's so bad some days that I literally have to either slowly push into a bend-over position over a 60 second period (truly hurts) or squat like a weirdo and not bend my back whatsover if I wanted to grab something from the ground or put my pants on.

If it helps, i'm currently on 2 types beta blockers for an atrial tachycardia heart condition, my spine is otherwise healthy as far as any physio/doctor has told me. My diet is pretty good, not perfect but I incorporate vegetables and good proteins regularly.

I just can't explain why I have so many problems with my back.... :( Any input is so greatly appreciated.

• crypticsailorccrypticsailor Posts: 5
    edited 09/01/2012 - 2:43 PM
    I am 25 as well, and outside of my chiropractor's recommendation to stop exercising(which I've done for the last month) I'm also in good shape despite having lots of chronic pain(although I have had to not do certain things that have extension like bench pressing or even swimming). I can even run. I honestly don't know. Perhaps its "TMS"? Besides that, maybe you just have some kind of nerve out of whack which is what I'm guessing. Most GPs are pretty useless for these things :| Although I've tried to no avail, you can try fish oils and GSM. Hang in there man.
  • edited 09/01/2012 - 3:59 PM
    I'm also 25 and have had a discectomy in Dec 2006 and and discectomy/laminectomy in Jan 2007. You should go to a good spine Dr and you need to get an MRI.
  • TXGirlNeedsNewBack said:
    I'm also 25 and have had a discectomy in Dec 2006 and and discectomy/laminectomy in Jan 2007. You should go to a good spine Dr and you need to get an MRI.
    Wow TXGirl, that is a lot for somebody our age. Was the disc herniated before the surgeries? Hope it's helped you.
  • chattiecchattie Posts: 37
    edited 09/06/2012 - 1:18 AM
    I'm not an expert at all but I'm 21 and have had what I thought was an injury to my neck for the last 19 month's I had a mountainbike accident and thought that was the cause of the pain but after lots of MRI scan and there was no clear cause. I was recently diagnosed with a nueropathic pain syndrome where my nerves have become sensitized to activities that wouldn't cause others pain but render me with chronic pain. It may be a direction that you could look into its hard to diagnose but it may explain or help you look into other options. Also have you tried accupuncture it is alternative but has proved successful for alot of people. Best of luck
  • Matths, have you written up a discription for your Dr stating all your symptoms? You should include the fact that you have morning stiffness. Morning stiffnes and pain can indicate an arthritic comdition that strikes young people. Please ask to see a Rheumitoligest.
    I have Ankolysing Spondylits, Ulcerative Colitis, DDD and a bit of OA to make things fun. Most of my problems are due to inflation of many joints, tendons and ligaments. I see a GP, a Rheumatologest, an orthopedic Dr and a wonderful PM.
  • Hi Matt, in my opinion I would request more tests, another cat scan/or MRI (more accurate). My PT informed me that one can actually do more harm to one's back than good by doing certain exercises. I have had chronic back pain for 27 years and apparently it was caused by me being a competetive bodybuilder. Now I've been diagnosed with DDD, Osteoarthritis of the spine, Spinal Stenosis, 2 bulging discs and segmental instability. I wish I had been properly diagnosed years ago...my advice to you is before you do any exercises get a definite diagnosis. I don't believe in the saying "no pain, no gain", because pain is the body telling you something is not right. Good Luck.
  • crypticsailorccrypticsailor Posts: 5
    edited 09/17/2012 - 8:39 AM
    hey chattie, from what you describe you might have TMS. I think I have something along the same lines.. it started off as a sprain in my lower back and I got to the point where I was lying on my back for 2 months. Now, I am still a bit tense and there is an annoying feeling whenever I'm sitting(basically, constantly) with slight weakness in my leg but by trying to live more normally and gradually doing more and more it has helped.. I'd really recommend looking into it. Didn't work for me the first time and I'm still not living 100% but its a hell of a lot better when you gradually try to give up the fear of re-injuring yourself.
This discussion has been closed.