Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 mos post ALIF surgery leg/calf cramps and sciatica

I have entered my 9th month post L5S1 alif fusion surgery. Back feels great, but leg pains/calf cramps developed 3 weeks post surgery and continues. I'm presently unable to sit more than 10 minutes, before the periformis muscles tightens and the sciatic nerves begans burning. I can walk up to 12 minutes, before I get sharp pains in my hips and legs. I spend most of my days lying on my right side in a fetal position. I'm presently in my 8 th session of physical therapy, which is helping me to stretch and strengthen my muscle as they have weakened down to the core muscles. Even in the therapy, I leave burning and feeling worst than when entered. The sergeant seems to only come up with a guessed conclusion that, due to the stretching of nerves to replace disc, they are irritated and it takes time to heal. I get it!, but how long?! I am a Type A independent woman, who now have to miss out socially and depend on others for the little stuff.
I am experiencing depression, frustration, and discouragement as I am unable to some of the simple activities such as going to the theatre, restaurants, church, etc. as I am unable to drive or sit. I try to walk on the track in order to get fresh air and exercise, but I'm always seem to only be able to do 5 limping off the track vs. 8, the ideal goal. I'm on 600mg Gabapentin and 50mcg Fentanyl Patch, which only last 2 days (1 very strong/drowsy and 1 pain tolerable day). I seem to be drowsy, fatigue, nodding, and irritable all the time. I try to have a more positive attitude, ans I'm grateful as things could be worst, but it's the "Time" that makes it difficult to Pre-plan any event or activities as each day is unpredictable and unsure.
I don't know anyone else personally who has endure the same. I feel isolated and lonely. I'm married, but my husband don't get it or even can begin to understand. I need help!

• backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 09/02/2012 - 3:59 AM
    i had the same operation about the same time as you {dec last year] and i too have leg and foot problems .it will be the sympathetic nerves that were disturbed during your operation {they run down the front of your spine and would have been temporary removed during your operation } .i asked my consultant and he has told me to stop worrying ! the only difference between you and i is my back is still hurting like hell !!
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014