Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micro Discectomy

swpeasswpea Posts: 3
edited 09/03/2012 - 6:24 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Had my Surgery July 25, still in pain, almost as bad as before. I had an L4-L5 Discectomy. Surgery was supposed to last an hour but ended up lasting two. Surgeon said the disc remnants had calcified on nerve root and he had to really scrape to remove disc material. APRN follow up told me to expect long long recovery, nerves take the longest to heal, as they have to re-generate???? Still taking Lyrica and Hydrocodone as needed, but I am comatose from this medication and am just about going crazy to get off the meds. Going back for a second MRI Friday, I had to push to get this done. At the Surgery site I now have a pronounced "bump." Will this go away???? I have been cleared for Elliptical exercise at the Gym, but when can I begin bending over again, will I ever be able to??? Frustrated and depressed. Any one else???

• I don't know what the bump could be, maybe scar tissue. But you'll still want to be VERY careful about bending at the waist. I had a micro discectomy in '05 thinking it would be a cure all. I wasn't very careful about not bending and twisting and ending up re-herniating my L5-S1. If bending is necessary for your job, etc I'd recommend getting one of those soft braces to wrap around you when you're going to need to be bending. It'll help keep your spine straight and will also act as a reminder to not bend too far over. Hope this helps!
    23 years old, female, back problems began at age 13.

Herniated disc at L5-S1. Microdiscectomy in '05, fusion in '07. No relief found other than the daily tramadol.

New: neck pain with radiating tingling/pain down both arms into hands.
  • Fortunately I sit at a desk for most of the day staring at a computer monitor. I am really baffled by the entire post-op care I "haven't" received. I haven't even seen the Surgeon since my Surgery to go over anything, or everything. I received a print out of the procedure, and that was it. I am goin to get to the bottom of this at my next appointment as well.