Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Degenerative Disc Disease of Lumbar spine

Hi there,

I am Vijay of 26yrs,Recently I have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease of lumbar spine with
- Diffuse disc bulge causing thecal sac indentation at L4-L5 & L5-S1
- Ligamentum flavum hypertrophy at L4-L5 & L5-S1.
Now I am very scared what would be the treatment would be? is the surgery only the way?
what kind of work can I do and what type of exercise recommended to me. I am really scared please help me out.

Thanks a lot guys....

• Your diagnosis sounds similar to mine.

1. Pars defects at L5 with grade 1 anterolisthesis of L5 on S1. No significant spinal canal narrowing is seen. Moderate foraminal narrowing is present bilaterally.
    2. Significant facet athropathy/hypertrophy at the L4-5 level with mild to moderate foraminal narrowing.

I have tried everything conservative that I can think of: chiropractic care, PT, pain injections, nerve deadening, ice, NSAIDs, narcotics, TENS treatment, stretching, etc etc etc. and I have had no luck relieving the pain and now I have tingling and numbness down into my foot. I have a discogram today and followup with the surgeon next week. Have you tried any of these? I would definite suggest trying everything before you consider surgery. I'm only considering it because it seems to be the last option for me. Good luck

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • I am having plif surgery on Thursday and I am terrified. Is there anyone that has had this surgery that can put my mind at rest a bit. Thanks