Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PossibIlity of infection

I am just over a year out from my ALIF at L5-S1, despite continued pain otherwise I have coped and just dealt with things. However about a month ago I had my teeth cleaned at dentist and also got some strange looking bites on my leg......since then my back pain has increased in intensity and is constant, I have been having on/off fevers, sweats, chills and was wondering if it was even possible that I could somehow of got an infection, is it even possible?? I already sound like a hypochondriac to my dr that I didn't want to suggest it if it is indeed a ridicules notion but something has caused a dramatic leap in my pain and I am stumped, any thoughts?

• Did your surgeon recommend you take antibiotics before dental visits? I had a 2 level ACDF 11 months ago, and doc said i didn't need them back then, but now that i added a lumbar fusion to the mix, he said it couldn't hurt. I asked my dentist and immediately got a script for antibiotics to take before i see him.

As for the symptoms, i'd check with your doc. It is possible to get an infection from a dental cleaning. At the very least, let the doc rule it out as a reason for your increased pain.

I hope you feel better soon.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    edited 09/04/2012 - 12:33 PM
    My doctor told me that anything can cause a infection that leads to the spine. i had a pump trial about 3 months ago. About 2 weeks alo I was breaking out in sweats and then cold. Always sick to my stomach.I went to the doctor for my yearly MRIs and at l4-5 is shows possible infection 7.5 mm thick. He ordered blood test and they all came back negative which he told me alot of times it will not show up in your blood work. I am now waiting to get a 2 phase bone scan to see if the area lights up to confirm the diagnosis. Then off to a surgeon, Hopefully for the both of us everything will turn out negative. I would call my doctor just to be sure;
This discussion has been closed.