Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Artificial disc

debbie276ddebbie276 Posts: 12
edited 09/05/2012 - 12:20 PM in Lower Back Pain
My lumbar disc broke and I had part of it removed in 2000. The disc broke again and I tried laser back surgery and spinal cord stimulator. My doctor suggested an artificial disc. Could I have an artificial disc if I've already had surgery on the same disc ?
advertisement

Comments

• backache99backache99 Posts: 1,314
    edited 09/06/2012 - 5:25 AM
    the consultant would have to do some medical photography and you would need a discography .and you would need a top consultant {if you live in the uk i can give you the name of an excellent consultant } depending on your spine and you health /age you may have to have a fusion .but what ever you do don't rush in to anything and make sure the consultant it the BEST you need a tricky operation and you don't want a half trained chimp operating on you !! good luck
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • If the dr told you he can put in an artificial disc then i am sure he would of not recomended it if it could not be done just cause they tried saving the disc with previous surgery!

Artificial disc is when disc cant be saved and will be totaly removed now and replaced with either fusion or artificial disc,
    My artificial disc surgery caused more damage then good so they fused me 2 years later leaving adr in there also to stop movement due to nerve damage caused by artificial disc surgery on my l4l5

In my situation i wish i would have just went with the fusion from day 1 and avoided the complications that cant be reversed with the artificial disc surgery damage,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I also have an artificial disc at L5/S1 that I have had for seven months. In my case, it has not improved anything for me at all. The next step for me would to have it fused, as Alex has done. I just can't face another surgery right now, so am trying to put it off for now.

Many people have alot of success with adr, but the surgeon needs to make sure that you are the ideal candidate. Many will not perform adr surgery if you have facet problems, so if you do, please question this. I have moderate facet hypertrophy, which my surgeon did not think was a concern, but I know that many will fuse instead if this is the case. I think that this may be part of my problem. I think that I may have done better with fusion, but who knows.

Whatever you decide to do,please keep us updated. I wish you all the best!
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Ouch2 i dont recomend you agree to fusion as i feel it made it even worse, You might be beter off make the best out of what you have as fusion will just put more stress on levels above and below and i would not recomend it,

Besides 7 months after your adr surgery is way too soon to make that decision and i would be shocked if any dr would even consider it so soon if at all, Unless adr moved or broke or something like that i dont believe fusion resolves anything after the fact, Just more money in there pocket and more suffering for the patient,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • For the original poster, it might be an easier question than you think because you may not even have the option of an ADR. Do you live overseas? If I'm not mistaken here in the U.S. lumbar ADR's aren't approved or are so much hassle that you would believe it to be impossible. Cervicle ADR is approved in the U.S. I know for sure but just thought I'd throw that out there. If you are overseas then I think it's much more accepted for lumbar ADR.
  • alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 09/20/2012 - 1:41 AM
    If original poster did not have the option for ADR then Dr would have not given her the option as she stated!
    The answer to her question is very simple ! Previous surgery she had did not involve fusion hardware but only procedures to try to save the disc.
    As it seems those procedures have failed as often it does and now that disc is damaged beyond repair the only option left is fusion or ADR surgery !

So the answer is Yes !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • ADR was suggested by my doctor BUT he did not know if i was a suitable candidate .it was the consultant that decided after a barrage of test .including the dreaded discography {very important in determining the suitability and strength of the above and below disk in your spine .they have to be able to take the stress of the ADR implant } .it turned out that due to previous poor surgery and disease that a ALIF was my only choice .i would have liked the change to have ADR .
    tony ♥
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • Just visited a new doctor today after an updated MRI and she brought up these artificial discs but only as a last resort option. Her opinion was that although I would be a prime canidate, they are totally hit or miss and the outcome may be worse than what I am faced with now.

MRI update confirmed what I already knew. Annular tear and dessicated disc at L4/L5, and another dessicated/herniated disc at L1/L2. But lucky for me I do have stretches of very good days where there is little to no pain at all. Other times though it is crushingly painful. And even though I am on a limited prescrip of 30 5/325 hydrocodone a month when I do need pain relieft, new doctor is doing everything to steer completely clear of any and all type of opiates for pain. Even said she'd rather have me take larger doses of acetaminophen or naproxsyn versus one 5/325 hydro.
  • I am calm dude, If i was any more calm i would be in a comma ! Lol. Debbie only asked about factors of the 1 disc.
    Not the full spine anatomy ,
    Tony i think you can argue with a brick wall dude. Lol

Ferenczy36. I had same issue with l4l5 and managed over 20 years before i agreed to the Adr implant as clinical trial, Big mistake it was and life never been the same,

I would look in to the new research of saving the disc as its out there and some dr,s are doing it healing the disc and making it work without taking it out and using adr or fusion, That would be my goal if i could go back before my surgery,

Good luck
    2012 scs implant ,
  • me argue never NEVER !!!!!! lol
    take care mate
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.