Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Remembering my Dad

Joe241JJoe241 Posts: 185
edited 09/05/2012 - 2:06 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
 Remembering my Dad
Seems like I just did this for my Mom, Dad went in the hospital last Sunday with his COPD it wasn't that uncommon. My family and I flew to Disney World this past Sunday and Monday afternoon I received a phone call that the doctor took my dad off of the ventilator and dad asked for us all to see him, my brother Larry lives in Clermont FL. We got a flight out of Orlando to Philly and landed past midnight. We all were at the hospital by noon time and the doctor took dad off of the ventilator. After 10 minutes my dad was sitting up talking to everyone with no problem, he was incubated for three days, anyway after six hours of " waiting for dad to die" the doctor ordered more morphine in his drip to let him rest. The doctor said it could be two or three more days I decided to fly back to Orlando and be with my kids in Disney. While we were at the hospital a tornado warning was announced and we had to move away from windows, a tornado touched down approx 20 miles away from Mt Holly New Jersey. I was able to get a flight at 10 pm because the flight was delayed in Chicago for hours, right before push back from the gate it was announced that parts of a bird were found on starboard engine cowling so that was another 30 minute delay. I finally got back to the resort at 2 am. Got phone call this morning Dad died at 905 am on 9/5, his birthday is 9/4 and his anniversary is 9/6. He died three months and one day after Mom whom died at 904 am.

MSGT. LARRY A. YOUNG USMC RETIRED MAY YOU REST IN PEACE WITH MOM. I love both of you and thank you for everything you have done for us and our children. Family came first no matter what and we are honest people because if we lied you kicked our ass. God Bless, Joe
ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.

• Joe, what a wonderful tribute to you daddy. There are no words to express how I feel for you. I would like to share a little story with you from a hospice nurse that helped me through the loss of my mama.

In 2004 my mama found out that she had lung cancer and less than 6 months to live. It was a shock but we knew that she had been sick for awhile. We moved her in with me and I became her main caregiver which I would not trade for anything. What an honor to do for her what she had done for me my whole life.

Towards the end we called in hospice as she did not want to be hospitilized and they helped set up medication so I could give her morphine. Hospice nurse was sitting with me one night and we were watching the faces my mama was making and I asked her if she was in pain and she said no but I will tell you what I have learned over the past 20 yrs...."See when she is smiling", yes I said, " that is when she looks through the window to Heaven and can see your daddy and all her loved ones standing waving and waiting to welcome her. When you see her frowning that is when she looks back and sees her babies crying and upset that she is leaving them. I have seen this many times and when family realizes this and is ready to let her go she will."

The next night we knew the end was very near and we all surrounded her bed, all 6 kids and their mates, 8 grandbabies and me and my sister leaned over each side of her and kissed her cheeks and told her we were okay, we were together and she was needed in Heaven to be with new grandbaby because daddy sure couldnt. We all began laughing at this and she took her last breath and smiled and went to join them all.

I did not tell you this to upset you and I hope it didn't. That story is the only thing that has gotten me through some days. I hope you know that from what I have read that you were a very good son and he loved you. I will be praying for your family and ir you would ever like to talk please dont hesitate to PM me. Please try to take care of yourself and not let pain get ahead of you.

Hugs and prayers,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    My dad had suffered for over 10 years with a wide range of serious medical problems. My Mom and he lived over 90 minutes from us and we tried to get him to move closer.
    Finally, he did. We got to spend almost every day for a little while together for about 3 months. He then passed away.
    His wish was to be in his bed and close to his children and grandchildren... He got his wish.
    That was back in 2001 and I still think about him often and miss him.

My sympathy to you and your family and hope you all have the strength to see this through..

My best wishes..... I know it is a difficult time
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Losing two parents within 3 months of each other must be so difficult. Continue to come on the forum if you need us. My sympathy to you and your family because I know it will take time to get past these next few months. Don't forget to take care of yourself.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • am thinking of you and your family, i try and write something comforting and wise but erase it as it sounds so useless. all i can do is keep sending out my love for you and yours, and somehow hope it finds you. Tina ann
  • I'm sending you my sincerest condolences on the loss of your parents. I've also lost both of mine, but five years apart. It's been 17 years since I lost my dad and 12 since I lst my mom, but I still talk to them and think of them often.

Take care of yourself and your family and may your memories sustain you during this difficult time. My prayers are with you.

• My heart sank when I saw this post. I just want to say that I will continue to pray for you and your family and I send my love support and condolences. Terribly sorry for your loss. We are here for you anytime my friend.

Big hugs.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• unauuna Posts: 1
    edited 09/06/2012 - 12:20 PM
    thinking of you and your family at this very sad time i have lite a candle for u and your family u will be in my prayers take care kind regards una
  • Your extended family has been challenged by multiple losses as well as your health challenges. Through it all as you shared your story it was evident the strength of your family. You are an inspiration. My prayers go out to you and your family. I hope in some small way the support from this site provides some solace.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My sympathy and prayers go out for you and your family.
  • sunshinebry2000ssunshinebry2000 Posts: 81
    edited 09/06/2012 - 9:54 PM
    Oh Joe I am so sorry for your loss, But he really needed to be with your Mom and now he is. So much better up there , no pain no wants or needs..just Bliss!!! I will continue to pray for you and your family. Kim
    Kimberly Martin
  • I am praying for you and your family during this difficult time of such great loss of both your parents so close together. I really hope that you all can come together to remember all the wonderful times together as a family and make sure you take care of yourself as well during all of this.

My personal beliefs are that your parents are together now and out of pain....

Sending you hugs (( ))
  • susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 09/07/2012 - 4:20 PM
    I am sorry to here this news, however your Dad is with Mom now. He is at peace. Prayers to you and your family.
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Got home today, thank you for all of your kind words. Kelli your post did not upset me, we have to remember what makes us smile. Thank you again for your support during this summer. God Bless, Joe
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 09/11/2012 - 8:27 AM

So sorry to hear of your sad loss.
    I hope that the happy memories will replace the sadness soon.
    Take care and God bless,
  • Just popping in to see how you're doing my friend. Hope you don't mind me stopping by on such short notice and unannounced. Lol

Me I haven't been sleeping well. Annoying pain in back of neck. Like a sore feeling. Other than that I am ok. Taking care of baby for the first week in 8 months. Such a sense of responsibility! He goes nonstop, doesn't nap, and is walking. But most importantly is such a joy.

How are you feeling Joe? Thinking of you and hope you and your family are well.

• Joe, that was a very touching story, thank you for sharing, and like everyone has said, they are together again. Bless you and your family, Joe.
  • I left you a post on my own thread but thought I should leave you one on your own turf too. Lol!

Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing? You're coming up on 12 weeks right? I hope you and your family are doing well.