Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

On valium and having interesting effects

So my doc gave me Percosets and Valium for the first 2 weeks of my recovery. Percoset really does nothing for me so I haven't been taking it however I have been taking the Valium. Now, I have never really slept well, always waking up feeling overly tired, deep dark circles under my eyes, and tired all the time. Ever since I started taking Valium I sleep amazingly well and I feel much calmer and collected throughout the day. Has anyone else ever run into something like this? I am really beginning to think maybe I need an anti anxiety med in my normal life lol.

• LovetrotravelLLovetrotravel Posts: 296
    edited 09/06/2012 - 10:04 AM
    The only time that I have been prescribed Valium is before my last MRI. It was just a one time deal with one pill and yes, it certainly relaxes you...

I can't say I would ever take it regularly as I'm not diagnosed with any type of anxiety disorder that needs treatment. I use exercise, healthy diet, not smoking, and yoga/meditation to help get through the stressful times that happen to all of us in life..

Again...I'm not saying it isn't a good medication for people who really have issues to where they have sought out a Drs. care for treatment and diagnosed with anxiety.

My PM has prescribed an actual muscle relaxer to take as needed for the simple fact that Valium is more easily abused (NOT saying you are doing this whatsoever) as people get to used to popping a pill to help them relax instead of do other things...And for actual muscle spasms...a muscle relaxer works the best.

And for sleep. I have been prescribed Ambien which is an actual sleep medication. Because of my chronic pain...as well as having Fibromyalgia...I was not getting a good night's sleep so I've been on this for close to 5 years now at the same dosage.

Certainly up to you and your Dr. on what medication to use for whatever reasons..Just sharing my own personal thoughts:)
  • BlueSkiesBBlueSkies Posts: 59
    edited 09/06/2012 - 10:36 AM
    The problem with using valium regularly is that withdrawing from it can actually be fatal and the withdrawal period can be weeks or months long. I have never take valium or anything similar to it, but I did read up on it because they gave my daughter (she's 19, nearly 20) valium at the ER for severe headaches she was having, just enough to last her to her neurology appointment.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 09/08/2012 - 12:17 AM
    Hi just wanted to make a quick comment on the percoset I had a knee surgery that went so well I didn't need the pain meds. On my two week post op check I told doc I didn't need it and he wasn't very happy with me and said I should have called him because the apap part of the perc was for anti inflammatory and he was afraid it may have hurt. Me. He would have had me take apap or IB for that.
    And if you need it long term valium isn't good for that maybe a talk with doc for a muscle relaxer
    I use Valium when I have dental work like root canals, I would rather have a spine surgery then a root canal
    And Valium is the only drug I have taken that relaxes me so much I don't care about anything LOL
  • Rick- I have never heard of a doctor that is not happy when you stop narcotic pain killers! Not to mention, the APAP (tylenol) is not even an anti inflammatory drug!

As for valium- it sure relaxes me, but almost too much. It makes me want to eat everything. If I took valium regularly I would weigh 500 lbs. I take zanaflex as a muscle relaxer. I find it helps a lot, but can only be taken at night unless you take it regularly.

As for anxiety medications- I take cymbalta for pain, but I found it actually helps anxiety more than anything else!!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I currently take Xanax 1mg 2 times daily for anxiety and panic disorder. I have tried Valium but did not help with panic disorder. I have taken Xanax for past 20 plus yrs. and current dose has not changed in past 10 yrs. I usually cut one in 1/2 and take during day and then 1 whole at bedtime to help me sleep. I don't have any of the hungover, sleepy feeling that I would get from OTC sleep aids or the horrible side effects from Ambien and Lunesta like nightmares, sleep walking or metallic taste.

Yes, Xanax and other anxiety medications are highly addictive and I am physically dependant but have been on same dose for so long and it keeps my symptoms at bay so I continue to use along with therapy and Cymbalta for depression and pain. If you do take one of these medications such as Xanax make sure you taper off with help from your doctor because they can cause seizures. We had a patient once who took 8mg daily and decided to stop cold turkey and had multiple seizures and was in coma but thankfully lived. I have regular checkups-3 months- with doctor and the combo of Xanax and Cymbalta along with Nucynta help with my chronic pain, anxiety and depression.
  • I've taken Valium two times while in the hospital after my surgery. Both times I had nightmares that someone killed my children in front of me. I told the nurses to never give me that drug again!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • HuggyHHuggy Posts: 321
    edited 09/10/2012 - 6:54 AM
    It's not surprising that Valium makes you feel relaxed and helps you sleep -- it is a very effective skeletal muscle relaxant, as well as a tranquilizer, anticonvulsant and hypnotic (in higher doses).

When I first injured my spine some twenty-plus years ago, I was prescribed Valium (diazepam) for pain relief (it is actually one of the preferred muscle relexants in some countries), along with NSAIDs.. As a benzodiazepine, it can lead to dependence, and of course there is also the problem of tolerance gradually increasing with this class of medication. Soma (carisoprodol) and the 'z drugs' (such as zolpidem, aka Ambien), while not benzodiazepines as such, also act on the same Gaba-A receptors as Valium and related drugs.
  • My doctor gave me Valium for sleep & works wonderfully.. I don't take it every night, just when needed. He gave me 10mg, but I break them in half. He initially gave me Elavil for sleep & OMG! That stuff is awful. Talk about a hangover. I was in a fog the entire next day, even when I cut it in half, & then quarters. Soma works well for sleep, but this doctor doesn't like prescribing it, apparently it's the new "in" thing for the druggies. Stupid druggies.

ACDF C5-C6 01/2002
    ACDF C6-C7 12/2011
    Prognosis: Permanent nerve damage in hands/arms, all treatment options exhausted-- lifetime CPP
  • I've tried Ambian while i was in the hospital, it made me feel like a zombie, but i didn't fall asleep at all, it was a VERY VERY long night. Now, i just take Nyquil, knocks me out cold. (actually ANY antihistamine will knock me out cold).