Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello to all. I am searching for a drug-free/surgery free way to manage my pain. 10 years ago I woke up one morning and couldn't sit down because of pain in my groin and going down my leg. Within 72 hours I was on an emergency room floor being admitted to the hospital. I had surgery for Cauda Equina. I had excellent results with an excellent recovery that took a while (a couple of months). Then, I had neck surgery for the same thing (a disk). Again, I had excellent results with an excellent recovery.

Last year, I started suffering back pain again. I did not see a doctor and it seemed to resolve itself. Now, about a year later, the same thing has happened. I can't sit down for any period of time. But, the severity of the pain seems to be diminishing over these past 2 weeks. However, it is quite bothersome and has at times left me in tears. But, I'm hanging in there. I'm looking for a drug free way to live. I finally killed the pain with alcohol one day (not really a good choice, but it worked). I was able to sleep (pass out?) for more than 2-3 hours. I only did that once and it was done out of desperation.

My plan has been to pay attention to my diet eat healtful foods and lose weight), start a regimen of glucosamine/chondroitin (expensive even in generic form), and to start walking more. Then, I want to graduate to other exercises. I have also found a meditation site.

I'm hoping to meet others who have managed to rid themselves of pain without the use of drugs. My main downfall at this point has been horrible in that I started smoking again. I'm pretty much housebound at this point, but I can now bathe myself and change my clothes (a major accomplishment) after a period of days when I could not do so.

I'm trying to "infuse my brain" with the notion that positive action will yield positive results. This is a hard road for me. I hurt all of the time and the inability to sleep takes its toll.

However, I'm trying to stay positive.

• Hi Island fever, i am sure that someone on this site will be able to relate to your experience and share their experience, i am answering firstly to welcome you to the site, i have found it very informative and supportive.

I can relate to you wanting to deal with your pain in the most drug free way as possible. i have just been referred to a pain clinic after the doc recommended yet stronger pain killers and i dont want to get on strong drugs, my condition is progressive so i want to hold out for as long as possible. i do take some muscle relaxants and pain killers at bedtime so that i get at least a couple of hours sleep, i find that if i can get some sleep i can acknowledge but not focus on the pain, whereas with no sleep it is really tough to see anything other than the pain.

i really wish you well, hope that you continue to find your balance of pain management. Tina Ann

congenital fusion of C3/4 anterial surgery in may 2012 consisting of 2 corpectomies on C5/6/7, replacing with two cages, top plate and 6 screws. Myelopathy
  • island_feveriisland_fever Posts: 4
    edited 09/07/2012 - 2:04 AM
    welshlady said:
    Hi Island fever, i am sure that someone on this site will be able to relate to your experience and share their experience, i am answering firstly to welcome you to the site, i have found it very informative and supportive.
    Thank you. After reading your entire post, I think I need to count my blessings. May your pain management progress well. I don't have insurance, so my options are limited. But, even if I did have insurance, I'd want to do the same thing. My thoughts are with you.
  • Hi island_fever. I understand your desire to manage your pain without drugs. I also try to do that as much as possible because the meds give me migraines. I find that distraction is a useful therapy. I try to keep my mind so occupied that there isn't room for the pain. It doesn't always work and some days are a battle that I don't always win. Loosing the fight for me means taking Endone for a couple of days which always leads to a migraine.

In the last nine months since my last surgery I have learned how to crochet, redesigned my ensuite / Walk-in-robe and coordinated the renovation and started a small vegetable garden. I tend to set myself tasks that have deadlines so that I have to keep focussing on them rather than on the pain. I hope I can keep this up because I heading for a 360 fusion L4/S1 in the next month or so (just waiting for my surgery date). Am not looking forward to the early stages f recovery where I have no choice but to take the meds.

Good luck with your battle :)