Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone tried/know anything about that MILD treamtent?

Just about a week ago, I started seeing tidbits in the news about MILD, some new minimally invasive lumbar decompression treatment. Supposed to last longer than cortisone shots (I couldn't find out how much longer), very minor surgical procedure requiring no anesthesia, etc.
Anyone have experience with this procedure?

• It looks like it is for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis only. I read the study that they did and it looks promising for those that have LSS only.

• It helps those with LSS only. I have come to find out though that many of us don't just have one issue.

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • I was just reading an article in one of the spine blogs about MILD. It seems that one of the surgeons conducting clinical trials on the MILD device is finding that many of his patients are having some terrible problems after some time out from surgery/implantation. The company is threatening to sue the surgeon saying that he is reporting adverse events that are outside the criteria of the outcome study that they want him to conduct, but he says that the complications he is seeing in his patients needs to be included in the study. It's another one of the company is paying for the study, therefore they want to dictate the information that is included in the outcomes, rather than the truth...it was a really interesting read.
  • LA_runner_chickLLA_runner_chick Posts: 91
    edited 09/24/2012 - 6:35 AM
    Yes, I've read a lot of mixed things. This article in the New York Times alleges there are some pretty serious side effects in some of the patient, but I've also heard that the people it works for, it works really well for them:

I have also heard that the company behind the procedure, Vertos, is also developing other stenosis treatments, including one for foraminal stenosis.

My pain management doctor is MILD-certified, but I talked to my orthopedic surgeon about the procedure, and he kind of pooh-poohed it. I am not sure if his response was because MILD takes the focus off of surgeons, since the procedure is performed in an out-patient setting by a pain management doctor -- or if he just thinks MILD is a load of bull.

Hence, why I wanted to find anyone who's had it, or knows anyone.
  • I would not risk it. Let the guinea pigs go first :p
  • This is the SAME thing that happened with Pelvic or Hernia operations using Prolene Mesh! Patients who have formed support groups (the biggest Yahoo group in America) were SILENCED by Johnson & Johnson with a Gag order. My faith in the makers of the latest treatments remains guarded until it's been around for a long period of time. IF you find it ruins your life, there is no "rewind" button, so - no thank you...at least for now.
    Justice: When we get what we deserve.
    Mercy: When we don't get what we deserve.
    Grace: When we are blessed beyond what we deserve.